Friday, March 22, 2013

"...any man's death diminisheth me, for I am involved in mankind; therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." (Donne)

      After yesterday's sad and emotional day we went to bed early and woke up early. When the funeral ended and Irv was ensconced in a wall we went back to Irv's apartment where we had lots of food--such as bagels and cream cheese and lox.  It was there that I thought briefly about dying.  It's not that I'm afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens  Inasmuch as it was so early this morning,  we decided we might as well go out for breakfast and do a few errands.  We needed a wall clock for the kitchen because the last one died of a broken hand.  In addition to that, RH+ always wanted a TV in the kitchen so that she could have some "noise" for company while having her breakfast; and usually at that hour I was fast asleep.  We had a young man from Comcast to come over and do whatever had to be done so that the TV operated--and he made it come to life.  Speaking of life I asked him how old he was and he admitted to 25.  He thought I was 53 and I gave him high grades on the telephone survey while he was here.  I had the phone on speaker so that he could hear what I said, and when the survey was over, he said he loved what I said about him and that I should keep my money because he didn't want any of it! I told him, no thanks, I don't operate that way so I gave him 30 bucks and a $10 tip.
 
     Since it is now "March Madness" I went into the living room and watched basketball games for awhile, although basketball is kind of low on my favorite things list. Meanwhile Rho went out to Publix and restocked our fridge and pantry with food, Mallomars, Oreos, and potato chips.  We have to eat early because we have to go to an event put on at the Boomers' club to which we are members, though not real boomers.  We're not boomers, but I haven't a clue as what we are--unless Greatest Generationists.  However, we have no club by that name.  Most of the Greatest Generationists who once lived here have passed on.  To who knows where?
 
     Tomorrow we are going to the Maltz Theatre in Jupiter to see "Thoroughly Modern Millie; a show I have not seen before. It takes about 45 minutes to drive there, and before we get there we usually stop at the First Watch Café for breakfast.  It's a great place for breakfast and lunch and the food is generally of the southwest flavor.  Since southwest food is thoroughly low on my list of foods, I just order bacon and eggs.  Speaking of food, we are going with two other couples to Passover dinner at a local restaurant who will provide us with a rabbi or a canter before we dine on gefilte fish, chopped liver and Manischevitz Wine--what else?

2 comments:

  1. Happy Pesach to Baron and RH+.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMarch 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM

    Baron - didn't you get my comment which offered you condolences on the death of your friend? And which told you that I too get ravenous at funerals? I think it's a reaction involving affirmation of life in the face of death! Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete