Monday, February 6, 2012

"Life is a bowl of cherries" Let's dine.

.....Here it is--Feb. 6 and I didn't realize that my last posting was Jan.31.  I can't even tell you what I have done since then because I can't remember.  Don't forget that this disability comes with the latter stage of one's life.  I'll just chat with you about what I can recall.  I do recall that Rhoda had a bad time last week and had to be hospitalized for sever leg cramps. It turned out that she was dehydrated.  But she is home now and doing fine.  As for me, I am getting around pretty good I would say.  It's been a very long hall to get to where I am now.  I do need a walker to get around; it's one of those three wheelers.  I'm hoping that in due time I can ditch it and use a cane.  I'm pretty slim now, and the clothes that I wore before my disability do not fit me.  I've gone done three sizes, but I feel pretty good about that--except that it will cost me to buy a new wardrobe with pants that fit.


.....On this coming Thursday Robin will be coming in for the day.  I have to go to the VA to get new glasses, so we'll chat while driving there.  It's about 3o miles but on the Florida Turnpike it is only about 35 minutes away.  We'll  have a good time, I'm sure.  I do have some mementos which she might like to take home with her.  


.....I'm about finished with the speech I will make at the 1957 class reunion.  I've been asked by Wally Kaufman to be wise, profound, and funny...a daunting challenge.  I have to recall all the wisdom I may have had, the profundity, and some good parent-teacher-student jokes.  Here's one: Mother: "What did you learn in school today?  Student: Not enough I have to go back tomorrow."  Well, of course, when you read it it probably will not invoke laughter.  Sorry.  I got an email comment today for a blog from Wallie and I'd like to share it with you: 


I should add that students at Sea Cliff were so wrapped up in being teenagers that we didn't investigate our new English teacher/soccer coach. We didn't know he had just been fired, and we never knew till a few years ago that he had also spent a few years firing upon our WWII enemies. What concerned us was the rather concentrated flak we received from his intellectual guns and his no-nonsense coaching. He was one of those young teachers who came to Sea Cliff in the early 50s and whom art teacher Kitty Strohe called the "cocktail teachers" as opposed to the "cocoa teachers." 
For the first time we had classes in World Literature and in creative writing. 
Pundits have called our generation "The Silent Generation." After doing a 422 page history of our class (1957) and school, I realized that what we could more aptly be called the Creative Generation. That began as it had for most Americans with creating our own games, competitions, and hobbies out of what we had at hand. Sandy Gleichmann's brother Alan organized a coed tackle football team, The Backyard Terrors and we played in his backyard. Dave Schweers and I made a trampoline out of discarded bed springs and put it over a hole in the sand at the end of Maple Ave. So we were ready for the real creative release came with the influx of new young and different teachers. Doc was one of the important ones.
He says in a recent blog he is always ready for a new challenge. His primary value as a teacher and coach was that he was always ready to issue a new challenge and demand that we meet it.


.....Sure does make me feel good.  Things like this work to take a guy out of depression. 

5 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

    All interesting stuff, Baron. But why does the Baroness keep getting dehydrated? All she has to do as a prophylactic is to swallow plenty of dilute fluids. That should be easy in Florida, where it's hot. It's damn difficult in England where it's cold: I have to punctuate the day with drinking mugs of hot tea, like most of my fellow citizens. NB If the Baroness drinks fruit juice, that by itself might be too concentrated to assist. Plenty of water is the answer. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuz Ruth may have missed her vocation. She gives excellent medical advice and might have been a fine doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhoda told me she fills her tank most regularly, but sometimes it just doesn't get absorbed into the engine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM

    Thank you, Cuzzin Phil. I don't think that I'm good enough at Science to be a doctor, but the experience of bringing up three children, plus having a good practical bent, has made me into a decent home nurse! I do, however, have a son who is a surgeon - my eldest, Sam. MY SON THE DOCTOR, ha ha, except that here in England, surgeons scorn to take the title of "Dr." They are addressed as "Mister," and it is a relic of the days when there was a Guild of barber-surgeons, who weren't physicians. In the Middle Ages, surgery consisted almost entirely of lopping off diseased limbs: and the barbers had the right tools for the job. The other relic of this Guild is the white pole with the red spiral streak displayed by barbers. Barbers were the people who practised blood-letting, which they did using a stick to divert the blood to stop it getting everywhere. All very quaint. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 7, 2012 at 10:26 PM

    That's very interesting, Bobby, as I have never heard of such a phenomenon. However, since the Baroness says it, it must be true. I will talk to my son about it some time, that is, when I can find him in! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete