Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"I will drink life to the lees" (Tennyson)

.....I am still basking in the experience I had at the reunion of North Shore H.S. Class of '57.  Before and after my speech people I had in my classes whom I failed to recognize, mostly because they were from RH+'s generation, (...she was the only one I recognized) told me how I had affected their lives by my teaching of English literature and Creative Writing.  They told me how I had inspired them to pursue excellence in everything they did, and how their college education was a snap compared to what they had learned from me.  I knew I had an affect on a few former students...but not so many as I learned from the reunion.  Now, I had only been teaching for four years so what can I say about  the students in my classes as I began to improve as the years rolled on?  I am fascinated by what I have learned about my teaching, and I am humbled by it.


.....Now, to change the subject, for I have nothing more I can say about it; I don't know the words to describe it.  Today, I have graduated myself from the three-wheel walker to the cane that Bobby bought for me a few years ago.  I plan only to use a cane from now on.  It's one of the goals I vowed to reach if you've been reading this blog.  But it's not the last goal.  I am eventually going to ditch the cane and train for the marathon I will run when I'm 90.  After that, I have no plans.  I've been asked by a few students and friends to send them a video of the speech I made.  I haven't the equipment needed for a video, and I no longer take pictures.  But I still have an old fashioned camera and a roll of Kodak film which lie unused.  Nor do I have a phone to take pictures.  A phone is used for talking, I learned.  Nor do I use Facebook or Twitter or Linked, though I believe I signed up for them at one time.  But, as you know, I do use a computer which I love.


.....I am happy about where I have gone so far this year; the last was a horror, and I'm about all over it and as Hamlet would say ...who would these fardel's bear; and the Baroness is about over all her issues from the past year.  And who knows what the next chapter will be about?  Will have to check our Kindles.

No comments:

Post a Comment