Sunday, February 19, 2012

Birthdays in February: Washington, Lincoln, the Baroness and The Baron

.....Well, I made my speech to many students of mine who were holding their 55th reunion, and who are much older than they were when in the class of '57.  I doubt that there will be a 60th reunion...for obvious reasons. Well, now what?  Surprisingly, I was asked by one of the members of the Drama Workshop to look over the script he has written for the next "in-house" show, and to see what I could do to improve on it.  I saw many things that needed improvement--with the title, with the names of the characters, with the songs he has chosen, and with the dialogue.  I have already begun to work on it, and I am happy to be helping him with it.  When we had a meeting about it the other day, he said he would put my name on the playbill as the co-author.  I do not think I want that.  He had originally asked me to be the director, and apparently has changed his mind because he thought I might intimidate the actors.  So, now I'm to be an "adviser" or a "consultant", neither of which I will mind doing.  It will get me out of the house.  He is making a mistake, however, by not allowing me to be a traditional director...nor anyone else. These actors will need it.

.....Last night we went to the Bonefish Grill with Rhoda's daughter, son-in-law and his mother, and Allyson (14) Rho's granddaughter, who are here for Presidents' week--as are a million other visitors to the sunny southland where our restaurants are now overcrowded and noisy, and our roadways are at a virtual standstill with rented cars. It was one of the few places that we could, at least, get a reservation--but not before 8pm.  We didn't get seated until 8:30pm.  The Bonefish Grill is an upscale seafood restaurant where I could not find much to my liking on a menu stacked with fish.  I'm not thrilled with fish, but fortunately there was a steak dish which I ordered.  We split the bill, Jeff gave the tip, and all I had to pay was $100.  Stove sales are very rare in Palm Beach. There was no charge for the water or the lemon which came with the iced tea.

.....Tonight there is a show at the clubhouse that begins at 7pm--which means we must have a very early dinner if we are to find a decent parking space.  Tonight, we may have to go to a fast food place like McDonald's.  Who knows?  During Presidents' Week, McDonald's may charge for the water and the iced tea.  Luckily, I have a credit card.

1 comment:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 19, 2012 at 5:34 PM

    Sounds like you're having loads of fun, Baron! CARRY ON having fun!!!! Have you received my birthday card to you? Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete