Sunday, February 26, 2012

"I lived a life that's full; I've traveled each and every highway."

.....Well, here it is.  Tomorrow is my 88th birthday; so I've been blessed with a long life, with many happy days, and many with strife.  I have survived most everything.  I have done most everything.  I have succeeded in most everything.  Perhaps I will succeed in reaching 90.  Maybe I'll have a big surprise party.  In my life, the biggest success that I've had is the four children I raised to be what they are today--successful and happy, and who are bonded to each other.  In many families, the siblings are at loggerheads.  Not in mine.  And for that I feel grateful that I've lived long enough to see that.  


.....Right now, I am discouraged about my condition.  I have neuropathy--I feel that I am walking with rocks under my toes, so that each step I take with my walker or cane is painful.  Also, I'm getting pain in my left hip where I had surgery, so I'm going to need an orthopedist.  Other than these annoyances,  I'm feeling pretty good; I don't let them interfere with what i want to do or go where I want--or need to go.  RH+ is a big help when I need her, but I do not have to call on her very often.  I can do most things for myself--except tie shoelaces!  I realize that most of my problems are a product of aging; but there is nothing I can do about that except to take on whatever comes along: I will not "...go gentle into that good night".


.....Friends, I really need to take a hiatus from writing this blog.  Today, I published the tenth book of posts; over 600 of them, and 2,263 pages that I've turned into ten books, some of which are being sold on Amazon.  I publish them as an addendum to my "Memoirs".  The blog takes up where the "Memoirs" leaves off--in August, 2007.  That's five years folks!  And for those of you who are curious--it doesn't cost me a penny to publish a book.  The only cost that I have occurs when I buy one.  This is awesome.  I know people who have spent a small fortune to have their book published.  The online company that publishes my books is called "Lulu".  But, honestly, I need to back off from this blog for awhile...I'm getting a bit stale.  So, stay happy and healthy until I get back--if I ever do.  Vaya con Dios.

7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Doc. Your blog musings are a source of energy, inspiration and connection that I have enjoyed for years. Take a hiatus but do come back as soon as you feel up to it. We will all be waiting. Bob Fox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you please write a blog entry every so often, only with the information for your readers that you are still on your hiatus, but that you will eventually return?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM

    I can only second Bob's words of wisdom, dear Baron. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday...and many happy returns of the day. I hope your blogging hiatus is short.

    I just took a look at the pictures and video from the class reunion you attended earlier this month and was glad to see you looking so well.

    Enjoy your day....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a very special day for a very special man. Happy birthday, Norman/Doc/Baron/Dad! (The baby that is loved has many names and that is true of special adults also). May this day be filled with joy as should every day of your 50th year on Earth.

    You are as young as you think you are, so keep that in mind as you stroll along the boulevard, slim and trim, with your cane. Do you remember when Fred Austerlitz sang, "I'd feel undressed without my cane," as he tap danced with a skill that may be equaled but never surpassed.

    Norman, you have as much style as Astaire, so keep on marching, cane at your side, full of fizz and vinegar, as is your style.

    And, Jim Zurer, thank Heavens you wrote on this blog. The wretched computer ate your email addy and brother Burt's as well. Please be kind enough to get in touch with me @ coachpmb@pobox.com. The Zurer boys plus their dear, departed Dad, their mom, and their sister were VERY special, and still are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Doc! Even a short blog entry from time to time would be appreciated as a status check on your well-being and progress on your next opus magnum.

    Warm regards,
    Pete Kehrig

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellin Bliss Jaeger (North Shore '58)March 1, 2012 at 10:21 AM

    I heartily agree with comments above. Wish we had some way of knowing when you decide to come back and provide us with a bit of news since we won't be checking the blog very often any more.

    Belated Birthday wishes,
    Ellin

    ReplyDelete