Wednesday, February 8, 2012

"Education commences on the mother's knee". (Anonymous)

....For dinner tonight I had a cup of chicken noodle soup, two crackers with butter, two mallomars and a glass of water.  The day was kind of busy.  First the cleaning ladies were to come at 2:30 and we had to get away from them.  Luckily we had some things to do.  First I had an appointment at the Wound Care Center and we were not there two long.  Since my 9 month ordeal with a painful hip and a painful heel sore, I now am pain free.  The hip has healed as well as the sore.  I'm able to wear shoes now.  So, in light of the situation I was "discharged" from the wound care center, and I do not intend to go back.  After leaving, we went to The Brooklyn Bagel restaurant; she had lunch and I had breakfast.  It was relaxing, and we had a nice chat.  From there we went to the post office to mail a pair of slippers that I bought online and I sent them back--too small.  Them on to the Men's Wear store to pick up two jackets that fit me, and I have to wear one of them on Saturday night.  Then on to the flea market where RH+ had to buy some lipsticks or something like that.  Then to home.  

.....We were going to have blintzes for dinner, but that didn't work out because we were invited to a party that a neighbor was giving in light of the fact that Gary had his last chemo treatment for cancer and so he is cancer free.  We had some franks in a blanket, chopped liver on crackers, and champagne.  And because of our late lunch at 2:00pm, and the party we didn't feel very hungry for the blintzes.  So that's why we only had the soup, crackers, mallomars, and ice water.  I really don't care; I enjoyed my dinner. 

.....Right now, I am writing a speech which I have to make on Saturday night, for the reunion of the class of '57.  Students from other classes from North Shore H.S. who reside in Florida were also invited.  I suppose these "students" must be in their late 60's and early 70's and I am finding it difficult to know what I can say to them.  But when I finish it and read it on Saturday, I will tell you what happened and how the speech was accepted, and then I will print it in this blog next week.  I will tell them that education made us what we are.

6 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM

    Baron - I'm glad that you're healed, and out of pain, and walking, and well enough in spirits to be eating again. BUT YOUR DIET SOUNDS VERY UNHEALTHY TO ME!!! Bagels - chopped liver - blintzes - franks in blankets, etc. Are you getting enough fresh fruit and vegs.? Look forward to reading your speech next week, btw. Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news. I hoid it through the grapevine that not only is the Baron down to fighting weight--lean and mean--but also that he is moving better than he has in a long time.

    Nothing could make me happier than to learn that my dear friend is happy and healthy. Keep up the good work, NR, and please ease off the junk food. With any luck and by avoiding unpleasant people, you will hit the hundred mark that we predicted when you were a mere lad of 40.

    Btw, break a leg on Saturday night. I am certain that you will bring down the house with your speech!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM

    The Baron has given me a preview of his speech, and it's great! Indeed, I wish I could be in situ to hear it spoken. All the best, Baron!! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Baroness (AKA RH+) & Loving WifeFebruary 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM

    Cuz Ruth, Fresh fruits & Veggies, are you kidding! Baron doesn't eat healthy foods. He's like a kid, junk food is his favorite. Believe me, I try and sometimes I do succeed, but then "fighting" is not worth a "hill of beans". The Baron is doing just fine and he does eat healthy, on occasion. Tonight he had his favorite, stone crabs. Now that's a treat for him, like a lollypop for a kid. He is looking very well and moving around with a cane, at times, or his 3 wheeled walker. He is even driving short distances. He's healthy and happy. That's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a cup of chicken noodle soup is a typical Jewish meal. and a healthy one at that. the Mallomars were his dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 12, 2012 at 8:05 AM

    Baroness - I feel duly chastened. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete