Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Will there be a Life to Come?

.....I know that Joel and Barbara had gone to see a B-24 Liberator & I wonder if it was the same as the one Rhoda and I went to see at the Boca Airport (where Robin lands & takes off when she comes here).  I think the name on the plane was "Witchcraft" or something like that.  There was also a B-17 and a P-51 Mustang.  I'm pretty sure the the bombers were the same that JR & Barb went on.  We got there late afternoon so there was no big crowd.  People were being charged $12 to get to see them, and if you wanted a ride, it was only $425.  Just think--I flew on a B-24 for two years for free!  Because I'm a vet, we were not charged to get in.  Rho climbed a small ladder and got inside the B-24 and she got a first hand look at my WWII main venue.  I did not venture to follow her.  


.....Now, I must continue to review my years in retirement in Life #7.  I certainly don't want readers to be "confused" about which life was which.  I'm doing the best that I can at trying to recall some of the events which are not in my memoirs and this attempt is not scientific.  One life sometimes ran into another life.  I thought about it and to clarify, I will adjust them a bit for your and my better understanding...although keep in mind that I am doing this review mostly for my own benefit...I want to see where I've been and try to learn where I'm going--although I have a pretty good idea about that.  Let's just consider for the sake of easy chronology that Life #1 was my childhood in Long Branch until I was nine.  Life #2 would then be my growing up in Fort Apache, ergo The Bronx.  Life #3 would be my experiences in WWII.  #4 would be my college days--(which I said was a life of its own).  It came within what I will now call, for the sake of easy reading,  Life #5--my marriage and my raising a family and my teaching career.  Life #6 would then become my single years (after my ex kidnapped herself) and my trip around the world.  And then Life #7 when I met and married Rhoda and retired to Florida.


.....Besides teaching poetry and Shakespeare to the seniors in my community, one day I read in the Huntington Lakes' newsletter that the Theater Arts club was going to produce "HMS Pinafore", the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta.  One of my early goals was to become an actor--but marriage and kids vetoed that idea...until I auditioned and won the lead role as Sir Joseph Porter, and the show ran four nights in 1992 in our 600 seat theater.  Eventually, my new career landed me leading roles in "The Mikado" (1993) as Koko; as Prez in "Pajama Game" (1994); Captain Andy in "Showboat" (1995); "The Music Man" as Harold Hill (1996); as Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof" (1997); "Pirates of Penzance" as Major General Stanley which I also directed; and "My Fair Lady" as Henry Higgins (2007).  I also directed that one and Rhoda & Sally Forman did a terrific job as Producers.  Then age, illness, & debilitating accidents to my body caught up with me, and my career as a thespian came to an end.  However, I was not finished trying to achieve all my goals; I became computer literate and since I always wanted to be an author, I started to write my "Memoirs of a Tail Gunner" which was published in 2007.  But I was not finished writing; I started a "blog", chose a persona as the Red Baron von Zorro, (Check me out in the photo) and I've been working on the blog--which really has served as a journal of my life for the past five years, reaching over 3000 pages--more than Tolstoy's "War & Peace".  
So, I have finally, at the age of 88 become a famous unknown author!  Have I achieved "greatness"?  Now, it doesn't really matter; I am what I am--and what is, is.


....

11 comments:

  1. As far as I'm concerned, you attained greatness a long time ago, but we are all very glad that you didn't realize it and continued to seek it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After 11 months, and of as of this date, the Baron is finally pain free and driving his car instead of having to depend on Baroness RH+. You now must have a fairly good idea of what I have done in my life, and I apologize if I have not described the events in perfect chronology. Whatever occurred is now history...and who knows? There may be a life yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 1, 2012 at 2:19 AM

    Among your many achievements, Baron, you never told us what a looker you were when you were young! Liked the photo!! However, if I were you I'd stop fretting about the degree of greatness you have attained. Really, life's hard enough for all of us without the added zurus of worrying where we stand in the Hall of Fame. You've been the very best YOU you can be, and more than that cannot be expected of any of us. As to the life to come, I personally would be quite happy with eternal rest, even if it means personal extinction. I'm listening closely to Faure's Requiem at the moment, as I shall be singing in it shortly: and you can hear similar sentiments in the music. What links you, me, and Faure is a chronic depressive condition. Just listen to the "Libera me, domine, de morte aeterna," if you don't believe me. If you listen to it carefully, you will hear an anguished petition for release from life, not, as it the text indicates, a plea for eternal life rather than eternal death, which was the conventional theology. As a matter of fact, Faure's ecclesiatical superiors were quite correctly very suspicious about the nature of his religious beliefs. Wiki tells me he was probably an agnostic, in spite of church patronage of his music, and believe me, you can hear it in the Requiem. This sets it apart from other great Requiems, namely Mozart's and Verdi's. A fascinating work. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth, I think the Baron was referring to a Life #8. For instance, he might have a whole new "life" after he appears as a contestant on "America's Got Talent."

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM

    Sooner him than me....Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cuz Ruth speaks great truth in her mini-treatise on the "after life." I've told you before and I will probably have to tell you again, this life is Purgatory if not Hell and there may be better or worse or a repeat awaiting us. Don't tell anyone else or we may all be in a padded cell.

    More important--Baron, thanks again for the lovely card. And even more important--well done for recovering from assorted ailments to be able to drive and get about with minimum aid, albeit with the use of a walker.

    Dear Baron, if a cat is allowed nine lives, surely a hero such as you is allowed double that number. I shall ask the Valkyries to intercede on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omar said, "I sent my soul into the invisible some letter of the after life to spell and by and by my soul returned and said, 'I myself am heaven and hell'" Milton said that Satan said, "The mind is it's own place, and of itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven." Sartre said, "Hell is other people".

    When Baron said, "Is there a life to come?" Must be a double entendre, eh?

    Satan also said, "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea that Omar Vizquel wrote poultry. I thought that he was a good-field, no-hit shortstop.

    Nor have I ever heard that Milton Friedman was familiar with Satan.

    I have heard of Sartre, and totally agree with his description of Hell. And there is No Exit.

    We poor underlings will neither reign in Hell nor serve in Heaven, neither of which appeals to me.

    Since freshman year in college, my motto has been, "Gaudeamus igitur" (Therefore, let us enjoy), from Brahms's ACADEMIC FESTIVAL OVERTURE.

    Following that precept, someone please get Barbara Ross a cat or a kitten--her choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM

    Cuzzin Baron - Phil's comment has reminded me that I have not yet expressed my happiness and congratulations on your being mobile and pain-free again. Lovely. and well done! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like to commit myself about heaven or hell - I have friends in both places.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 5, 2012 at 7:00 AM

    Phil - according to a lot of people in this country, Milton Friedman IS Satan. We don't think much to his economic theory. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete