Sunday, January 29, 2012

"The web of our life is of a mingled yarn, good and ill together" (All's Well)

.....We have lived for the last 29 years in a gated senior condo community in Delray Beach called Huntington Lakes.  I first saw it in 1982...there were three four-story units and a long staircase going nowhere. I supposed another building was to be erected, this one to be eight stories.  I think it would have been much cheaper for me to buy the staircase.  The attraction at this venue was a $6 million dollar clubhouse replete with a 600 seat theater, a gym with all manner of equipment, a beautiful lobby with a fountain, a pond, fish, and a six lane indoor swimming pool, a sauna, and a jacuzzi...or whatever you want to call it, a huge ballroom, classrooms, a billiards room and card rooms.  Early on I was the only one in the place.  Of course, now there are about 44 buildings--and several of the eight-story variety.  Each four-story condos has 32 apartments.  And this is how Life #7 began.

.....For the first two years I was here, I taught in a private high school & was selected to coach a very poor soccer team.  Florida then was like Texas--football country.  Rhoda also found a job in a doctor's office and retired in 2000.  When she first got here, she was dismayed that she had no friends and most of the women were much older than she...But now she fits in here like a bee fits in a hive. (Definitely not a cliche!) When I left the school after two years, I taught a six-week course in our clubhouse called "Fun With Shakespeare".  I never suspected that I would get so many seniors to register for that class. I would pick a play that I enjoyed and I used to get from 30 to 60 "students".  I have to say that it was great to teach those seniors who were obviously hungry for some education that they somehow had missed. I'm a professional so I didn't teach pro bono...I charged $30.  I taught this class for many years with unsuspected community interest.

.....While here I played golf almost three or four times a week with neighbors who also moved here eventually from East Meadow where we had first settled in NY. We bought a small ranch house there.  My golf game got steadily better, and there were many courses available to play.  I was proud that I got to be a 7-handicap player.  Early in the 80s, our Board established a "senior olympics."  In the first year I won a gold medal in the 3-mile walk, racquetball, golf, and in swimming--for the 50 yd. freestyle and the 50 yd. backstroke.  (I was a swimmer since I was 5 yrs. old).  I won an awesome "MVP" trophy.  I no longer am able to play golf or any of the other sports.  However, if they held a walker or a scooter race, I might enter. I love a sporting challenge. After all of this, I still couldn't decide if I was "great".  I finally decided that the proper thing to do was to let other people make that determination.  
Life #7 has gone on now for 29 years.  So, it has to be continued.  A lot more to come!!  My books, my blog, my musical and acting career, my medication, & etc.


  

13 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM

    Of course you're great, Baron! And we all love you!!

    Btw, your daughter Robin has recently been investigating my late FATHER'S family tree, and is being generous with her time and trouble, sending me pics, info, articles, etc. It's been an eye-opening experience! Robin makes light of the work she is doing, saying that she loves genealogy, and although I don't doubt that, I still think it's kind of her to share the fruits of her labours.

    Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It appears that some readers are confused about the order of what I have written about what I consider my "7 lives"....so: Blog: #1-1/22, #2-1/23, #3/1/24, #4 & #6-1/25, #5/1/28, #7-1/29, etc...Blog of Jan.25 explains why I skipped #5 which comes on Jan.28. Now I"m thinking perhaps I"m now in my 8th life which I never expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should hope that if you are on life #8 that you are not related to any of the feline variety as that would imply you only have 1 more life to live. And that would be "A goddamn Greek tragedy"(Rockhound, Armageddon,1998)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My confusion with the "lives" is that you state "Going to college was a life of its own. To me it was Life #4." So, Life #4 must have ended when you got your doctorate in 1962.

    Then you state: "Life #5 typically began with a traumatic event sometime in 1976." So what Life happened between 1962-1976?

    You imply that Life #6 ended with your retirement in 1982, but then you say that Life #5 ended with your marriage in 1983.

    So, this is why I (and others?) are confused. There seems to be a missing Life in there somewhere. If you have 8 lives like a cat, then this is not a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 30, 2012 at 7:46 PM

    I wasn't having any problems at all with the number and sequencing of the Baron's lives until this debate started: but now I'm TOTALLY CONFUSED. Help! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry, JR. Recalling the past in the proper order of things is not an exact science. If you are confused, deal with it. These "recall" blogs are for my own benefit, anyway...as I have stated. I simply want to review where I've been & evaluate what I have accomplished in my life. The year 2012 is the 70th anniversary of my joining the Navy. There are some things I've recalled now that are not in my book. Just try to enjoy what I've written here without fretting about the chronology of events. I'll feel better if you can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 31, 2012 at 10:07 AM

    Yup, no problems there. It's what I was doing anyway. And it's less confusing than Schrodinger's cat, which is half-alive and half-dead. If it's a good cat that doesn't pee on the carpets, then it's a pity it's half dead. But if it's a cat that pees on the carpets, then it's a pity it's half alive, and should be taken to the vet for euthanasia of the alive bit. And the vet should halve the bill. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Schrodinger's cat is fully alive and fully dead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 1, 2012 at 1:55 AM

    Yeah, right. That means a full vet's bill for treatment of any ailments and booster injections AND full burial costs as well. That in itself demonstrates the iniquity of the theory. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Schrodinger is a jerk, and so is his cat. We should be more concerned that Barbara Ross get a healthy cat (kitten) that will sit on her lap and otherwise be congenial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netFebruary 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM

    I absolutely agree, Phil: and I congratulate you on your correct use of the Subjunctive. ("We should be concerned that Barbara GET" - not "gets" - "a cat," etc.) The Subjunctive is difficult in English as it's barely noticeable. However, we should strive to keep it and understand it, not least because that would make learning other languages so much easier. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually, the Ross household has not been without a cat at all: We are the place where our grandcats are left for us to catsit on a long-term basis. There were as many as 4 at one time; now we're down to 2. Probably 1 by next week.

    ReplyDelete