Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Ulysses" by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Since I extolled this particular poem as spiritual, motivational, inspiring, and rife with yearnings, I think it only wise to place it here in my blog for all to read...and wonder.  Everyone ought to feel the emotion and the passion that it evokes.  I wish I had written it...but, nevertheless it speaks to me.   In this poem, Ulysses (the Roman for Odysseus and the hero of Homer's Iliad and the Odyssey), now an old man, having returned to Ithaca after twenty years absence and much adventure, has grown restless, and is now contemplating setting out with his crew again.  Reading it aloud will bring you the best experience!

Alfred,Lord Tennyson : Ulysses

It little profits that an idle king,
By this still hearth, among these barren crags,
Matched with an agèd wife, I mete and dole
Unequal laws unto a savage race,
That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me.

I cannot rest from travel: I will drink
Life to the lees: all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone; on shore, and when
Through scudding drifts the rainy Hyades
Vexed the dim sea: I am become a name;
For always roaming with a hungry heart
Much have I seen and known; cities of men
And manners, climates, councils, governments,
Myself not least, but honoured of them all;
And drunk delight of battle with my peers,
Far on the ringing plains of windy Troy.
I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethrough
Gleams that untravelled world, whose margin fades
For ever and for ever when I move.
How dull it is to pause, to make an end,
To rust unburnished, not to shine in use!
As though to breathe were life. Life piled on life
Were all too little, and of one to me
Little remains: but every hour is saved
From that eternal silence, something more,
A bringer of new things; and vile it were
For some three suns to store and hoard myself,
And this grey spirit yearning in desire
To follow knowledge like a sinking star,
Beyond the utmost bound of human thought.

 This my son, mine own Telemachus,
To whom I leave the sceptre and the isle—
Well-loved of me, discerning to fulfil
This labour, by slow prudence to make mild
A rugged people, and through soft degrees
Subdue them to the useful and the good.
Most blameless is he, centred in the sphere
Of common duties, decent not to fail
In offices of tenderness, and pay
Meet adoration to my household gods,
When I am gone. He works his work, I mine.

 There lies the port; the vessel puffs her sail:
There gloom the dark broad seas. My mariners,
Souls that have toiled, and wrought, and thought
 with me—
That ever with a frolic welcome took
The thunder and the sunshine, and opposed
Free hearts, free foreheads—you and I are old;
Old age hath yet his honour and his toil;
Death closes all: but something ere the end,
Some work of noble note, may yet be done,
Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks:
The long day wanes: the slow moon climbs: the deep
Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Alfred,Lord Tennyson (1809-1892)


Tell me...was I wrong?



9 comments:

  1. "...to follow knowledge like a sinking star
    beyond the utmost bounds of human thought."

    Dynamite!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM

    No OF COURSE you're not wrong, Cuzzin Baron! So, you must live many more years to share your great knowledge and these amazing insights with us. Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    Joel - I owe a lot of my knowledge of language and literature to REFRAINING FROM SPENDING TIME AT SUMMER CAMPS AND THE LIKE. SO THERE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Ruth... they even have summer camps devoted to literature and writing. Here is one for creative writing and poetry: (http://www.centauriartscamp.com/summer-camps/writing-camp-programs.htm?gclid=CNKg44Gox60CFQcQNAod4D1CjQ). So, you could have learned language and literature AND interpersonal skills, while making macaroni necklaces for Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM

    Joel - NO, NO AND NO!!! I do not want any more inter-personal skills!!! It is not lack of inter-personal skills that stops me enjoying the endless company of people: it's the other way round! I don't enjoy the endless company of people, so I have no desire to learn more inter-personal skills! Take one more look at the video of the Friday evening of the Reunion and see how I'm fidgeting, if you don't believe me. I like people, but a little goes a long way! Mostly, "I vont to be alone." And mostly I interact well with people, that is, when I condescend to talk to them at all. We have lots of creative writing summer schools and weekends here in the UK, and guess what: I don't attend ANY of them. OK, so I'm barmy and weird - but I thought we'd agreed that a long time ago. Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. JR & Ruth: Quit the bickering. You're making me nervous. What do summer camps have to do with the topic of this blog, "Ulysses"? Take your views to your e-mails. I have no interest in camping...bears & fires, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 11, 2012 at 6:05 PM

    Mm, sorry, dear Baron, this debate has carried over from a previous blog posting of yours when nice Ms Carol Markel, your erstwhile student, told us all about a relevant camp. But I even got that wrong! It was a day-camp, not a residential one. Btw, everyone: have a look at the Epic of Gilgamesh. Gilgamesh's best buddy Enkudu was customised for him from a rough-hewn being. No-one's ever done that for me. If they did, I might get interested in spending more time with others. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not bickering with Ruth, and I don't feel she's bickering with me. I enjoy her barminess. Wasn't Ulysses a bit barmy, in a heroic sort of way? There's the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM

    Er..yes...er...thank you, Joel. Cousin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doc, what I'd like most of all is to hear this segment of Ulysses in YOUR voice. Just as Tennyson's words speak to you (and of you), the spoken word from you would be the most satisfying gift I can imagine (unworthy though I am).
    What think ye of recording and sharing? You could be the next superstar of audio books...

    ReplyDelete