Monday, January 9, 2012

"I have immortal longings in me." (Antony & Cleopatra)

.....You know...when you reach my stage in life, there aren't too many...if any, ventures or adventures that do not take a whole lot of energy to accomplish.  About the only things left where you do not have to stand up are Facebook, Tweeter-dedum, Links &  any other social sites that I'm not aware of.  I haven't time enough to consider using those offerings. And I'm not having much of a good time on the PC any more...I just entered a whole bunch of information on Target's web site...3 times...for a credit card...and they still did not accept my zip code which I've used here for the past 30 years.  So after spending a half hour on the phone with an "agent" nothing got accomplished.  She said I needed to put my wife's "security code" online.  I told her I'm tearing up the card & gone to Walmart or Dunkin' Donuts.


.....Make no mistake--I am no Don Quixote tilting at windmills, nor Gulliver confronting the Yahoos; nor Sir Gawain seeking the Green Knight to get his head cut off.  But what I am, I am--like Ulysses, perhaps, facing old age. He yearned once again to explore worlds he'd never seen, despite his reunion with his wife, Penelope, and his son Telemachus, "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."  Try reading Tennyson's poem, "Ullysses".  It's a lesson in grandeur, in resilience, in ventures beyond the seas.  I re-read it now and then for motivation, inspiration, mystery and even joy.  There must be some joy left in this life...you think?   Oh, yes, the new mattress is a joy...as simple as that seems to be.

2 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM

    Poor Baron! Cheer yourself up by revisiting my poem "Otherwise Please Hold," and writing one on the same lines but relating to the Net not the telephone. Writing poetry is always fun! Such a sense of achievement when a poem is finished.
    I will read Tennyson's "Ulysses" right now! You have motivated me so to do! Isn't that sort of thing worth living for?
    Are you sure you don't want a new MISTRESS? Definition: "A mistress is something between a master and a mattress."

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJanuary 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM

    I've just read Tennyson's "Ulysses." It's great! AND, Baron, hitherto I have not really liked Tennyson, but thanks to your motivating power, I'm going to read him all over again!! Mmmm...go listen to some music: "Music that gentlier on the spirit lies/ than tired eyelids upon tired eyes." That's Tennyson too, from "The Lotus Eaters," and I always did like THOSE lines!!! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete