Sunday, February 14, 2010

"The rest is silence..." (Hamlet)

.....Rhoda's "kids" and granddaughters came in for Presidents' Week and today it is our honor to entertain Allyson, 12, because Jeff and Renee are taking Ilana, 16, down to Miami to look over the University. One day or two this week they are going up to Gainsville to check out the University of Florida. The smart thing for a high school graduate to do is to register for a college in a warm climate. Rho's nephew, Max, is going to Buffalo where going to winter weather classes is not nearly as tolerable as they are in Miami. I ought to know because I went to Columbia in the winter. Not good. Parents should send their kids to work for a year or two before sending them to college, anyway. The Cohen family comes to Florida every February. So happens, the chill is in this year. The Ross family attempted to come to visit us one Christmas week in the last millennium and when Joel and Barbara hit Jacksonville, it snowed and made driving an unhappy experience. Finally when they got to Delray Beach, they found there was no electricity to warm them up here in our house. They have never tried this again.

.....Just so I would know how they would spend their inheritance, I gave the two girls each 5K. I believe in doing that so that children, siblings, and grandkids won't get to battling each other over money when the patriarch (me) is dispatched. Now, at least I know how Ally is spending her money. She bought an apple laptop for which her parents likely would not purchase. Ally also arrived here with her blueberry or strawberry or addleberry or whatever it's called, which her mother bought for her. I've learned that kids who carry this Devil's device around with them can never take their eyes from it--even at the dinner table at which such behavior has these days somehow become unrude. I don't know everything the cranberry does, but i do know it's magnetic--so there must be something metallic in the kids' eyes. The other problem I have with kids today--and at times even with their parents-- is that they must be speaking another language since I often cannot understand a word they are saying. Problem is they slur and elide their words and speak them whispery and so fast that they seem to want to be getting on to do something else. I tried putting on my hearing aids, but they aren't much help.

.....As the days roll on, I am still getting physical therapists in the house three times a week, and I'm getting really bored with whatever they ask me to do. I am down to waiting once again for some part of my body to heal. Last night Rho and I went to see John Davidson do a show in our clubhouse. Of course, I had to use my walker to get in there and get to my seat. I'm actually overwhelmed with embarrassment to be using a walker in that circumstance, having all the people I know who have seen me cavorting on the stage, now to see me humbled with a walker. The walker and I do not have a very close relationship. I swore I'd never join the club that uses walkers. The moral is that a poisson shouldn't swear.

5 comments:

  1. I was under the impression that you are using the walker primarily because you just had hip surgery and need something more stable than just a cane while you recover. But I also thought that this could be a temporary situation, and after therapy and time, you will be back to the cane. If so, then you certainly have not joined that club at all. It is more like you are just auditing their meetings, after which time you'll tell them "no thanks; not just yet."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Baron urges you to try this link:

    http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1259369509/ref=sr_gnr_fkmr1?ie=UTF8&node=1000&search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=Pater%20Noster%20Condoland

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Baron says, "Sorry". You'll have to copy and paste the link he sent somewhere else before you can access it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just figured out why I tune into to Baron most days. He's fresh, not bedraggled by political correctness or inhibition. Fresh, from the heart or mind, generously speckled with humor, philosophy and self-deprecation, not necessarily in that order. One may enjoy, learn or stew, it's one's choice, the Baron goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doc, you are not humbled. Using your walker shows that you will get wherever you want in spite of physical viscissitudes. Nothing can stop the Baron. Your walker is a badge of honor. Bless all the Rosses and all those who post here.

    ReplyDelete