Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"Oh Brave New World!" (The Tempest)

.....As of this date, I have run out of suitable reading material. Oh, I do read TIME magazine, but I can do that in one night while lying in bed from 11;30 to 12:30 a.m. The newspaper I read in the morning over a cup of java and an Oreo cookie--the one with the chocolate creme in the center. I've read Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates, graduating gradually to BEOWULF, and Chaucer. Then all the books of writers like Petrarch, Milton, Shakespeare, Ben Jonson, Samuel Pepys, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, James Fenimore Cooper, Walt Disney (?), Ernest Hemingway, Charles Darwin, and so on into the night. I'm averse to reading fluff like ANGELS & DEMONS, or THE DAVINCI CODE. I can always watch the movie in two hours. So, now if I want to read something that sticks to the ribs and brain cells, I'm forced to go back to basics. Consequently, I am now reading the Bible. A good place to start.

.....The Bible is a very interesting but controversial book. It begins with Genesis and explains how God made the world with all the people, animals, plants, and squiggly things in seven days and nights. He saved the best for last--woman. Woman needs man and man must have his mate, that no one can deny. Hmmmm. The Bible does not indicate who made God. That's where "faith" and the "big bang" originated. At first God made Adam and Eve to be naked and they were ashamed, goodness knows why for Adam was not yet afflicted with erectile dysfunction, and Eve's breasts were still perky. Since there was no Victoria's Secret at the time (Satan's creation), God provided them with fig leafs; that's what the book says--don't blame me. I imagine Adam had to wear suspenders to keep the leaf up, but God had not yet made that device so he kept his legs close together. Eve found a way, but that's a secret; women are very resourceful. However, God had not yet invented brassieres, but Eve had no shame.

.....When I began this blog, I said that the Bible was a controversial book and subject to much interpretation. For example, before you knew it, those two were horny and couldn't wait, and Eve conceived Cain and Abel. I don't know where she got those names--there was no baby book. Regardless, Cain for some reason--because he was "wrothful" slew his brother and then God asked Cain, "Where is your brother?" If this was really and truly God, he should have known where Abel was--Everyone else knows he was "dust". Cain replied to God's query, "Am I my brother's keeper?" A clear case of plagiarism.
.....Prior to these events, God had admonished Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit of a tree of evil; but Eve disobeyed to our everlasting dismay and bit into an apple from that tree and offered Adam a bite, and he bit. Now we have to work for 30 to 40 years and woman has to suffer pain in childbirth. This seems to me to be a clear case of a wrathful, and not a merciful God as some prefer. I'm no expert on this, so vote for your own guy.

2 comments:

  1. How 'bout a little King Arthur? I just finished The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Arthurian legend told from the women's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LES MISERABLES and the Dumas series on The THREE MUSKETEERS (there were actually 6 books) are still great reads and are not historically inaccurate.

    Better idea yet. WRITE a book about Camelot aka NSHS in the 50s and 60s. I've been advising you to do that for more than half a century. Your youth will return and you will once more trip the light fantastic without breaking anything.

    ReplyDelete