Saturday, February 6, 2010

Pluck the Goose to Obtain the Feathers.

.....Today Rho went out with Mary Gurien for breakfast, lunch, and almost dinner. She also had an alignment and oil change on her car which now sports 11000 miles. Mary Gurien is one of my friends dating back to the 1950s when my ex and I were raising our children in East Meadow, Long Island. Mary's husband, now deceased, unfortunately, was a golfing partner for many years. Several friends from East Meadow followed me down here and adopted Rhoda as though they knew her forever. Rho goes out with each one periodically, and it's good to know that she does that and has so many friends who clamor for her time.

.....So, while she was out, I had to figure out what I could do in the apartment all day. I finished reading "Push" which was made into a movie that I don't want to see. I can't go anywhere because I don't have my driver's license. I do have an appointment on March 2 at the MVB to get another one. We still can't find my wallet which RH-- hid somewhere but doesn't remember where. That's what the hot sun does to you down here in the tropics. For all I know, the wallet (with $120) somehow made it to the Everglades. Well, to continue this essay, I decided to do my taxes, and the first thing I did was to figure out how much of my Social Security would be taxed. The form that is used for that purpose is like wading through a pool of mud. I had the feeling that I had been taxed for my SS back in my working days and now I'm being taxed again. If true, that's not fair.

.....When you fill out the SS Benefits Worksheet, you realize why they (IRA) called it "work", instead of "form". You first have to enter all the SS $$'s you received during the year; then you have slice it in half; then from the information on the 1040 or 1040A you must enter everything you already entered there from lines 7, 8a, 9a, 10, 11b, 12b and 13. At that point I had to rush for a calculator and a Tylenol. And this is only the beginning of that worksheet. I had the feeling that if I continued with this monstrous tax requirement that when finished, I would be off Tylenols and on to Xanaxes. Sorry. I can't go on. I have to grasp my walker and go take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment