Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"I can believe anything provided it is incredible." (Wilde)

....Well, yesterday's blog did motivate several comments--each very astute. No one, however, has come up with a supreme, #1 accomplishment. Joel is no doubt correct in calling my relationship with grandchildren a failure. That it is, and I'm sorry and sad about that. I'm not about to get into who's to blame for it. However, I do have communication with Sean and Katrina--which is something; it's not frequent, but it's something. No doubt I'll have a better relationship with the great grandchildren assuming I'll be around for that event.

.....Today Rho and I went to the surgeon who put my hip back in order with some pins. I saw the x-rays and those "pins" looked like big nails to me. At any rate, he said that as soon as my in-house rehabs are over, I can begin to go to "out patient" rehab where I can work on some machines--including the bicycle no doubt. I still have my name on the ID bracelet that was put on my wrist in Whitehall--like they do in hospitals-- and I refuse to take it off until I am able to put away the walker that I have been depending upon. On that day when this wound is healed, we'll have some kind of ceremony when I cut off the green bracelet. I got a birthday card from Bonny and inside was a button that could be pinned on a shirt that says, "I've survived DAMN near everything" so I pinned it onto my suspenders. It's most appropriate and attracts attention.

.....I continue to read my selections from the Bible and I just read about how Joshua "fit the battle of Jericho"; the song keeps running around in my head. Why did he "fit" it? Well, a glance at a map will reveal the military importance of Jericho. It was the gateway to the passes leading from the east to the interior of Palestine. The Lord gave Joshua some very strange military tactics before the walls fell down. He ordered the priests (?) to circle the city once each day for six days carrying ram's horn trumpets and the Ark of the Covenant before them--or behind them--it's not too clear to me, nor is the reasoning. Then on the seventh day (everything seems to happen on the seventh day) the priests were to circle the city seven times and after the seventh time the priests were to blow their ram's horn trumpets and all the people were to give a "great shout" and the walls of Jericho would fall down and Joshua and his army would go in and kill everything that lived. That story incredible. As far as the great shout is concerned, I believe I've heard louder noises in several restaurants I've dined in--or classrooms that I've taught in. But I don' t think that Joshua or the Lord had to go to all that trouble. Remember that President Reagan wanting the wall between East and West Germany to come down--all he did was say, "Mr. Gorbachev take down that wall," and shortly thereafter the wall came down without all the marching around the city and all the shouting and ram's horn trumpets blasting and schlepping the Ark. Next up to the plate is Samson; I'm fond of him because he grows his hair long.


2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about the grandchildren - I seem somehow to have lost interest in my CHILDREN!!! I put my all into raising them, but now they just seem to be more people cluttering up my life

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much honesty is rare in this world.

    ReplyDelete