Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"I have a medicine that''s able to breathe life unto a stone." (All's Well)

.....On a different note from the ritual of aging, I have a cousin in Sheffield, England with whom, it seems, I am in virtual constant e-mail touch. I am immortalizing her in this blog because she has been my intellectual pen pal for...how long? We don't fool around with our topics...they are almost always meaningful. Cousin Ruth is not really my cousin; she's from my ex's side of the family, I believe. Otherwise I don't know who she is. But I have adopted her cousinwise, and her name is Ruth Grimsley. Sounds like a character right out of a Charles Dicken's novel...although it might be more likely if her name were something like Hester Grimsley. At any rate, she has read my book, she reads this blog, and she has watched numerous of my shows on video tape for which I am elated that someone is doing it.

.....While I was confined to Whitehall (also, coincidentally, sounds like a townhouse in a Dicken's work), Ruth was kind enough to write a poem for me explaining our relationship in--mostly iambic trimeter doggerel couplets, it seems. But that doesn't make her a bad person. At any rate, her poetic effort really lifted me out of my depression--having broken my hip; but I won't keep you in suspense any longer:

Two cousins both sides of th' Atlantic
Engaged in debates most semantic.
'Bout Hebrew they never debated
Though through it they both were related;

'Bout Yiddish they never would chat,
Which is strange, you'd think they would do that!
They never did talk about money--
And that is exceedingly funny.

They sometimes did talk about history,
But that wasn't much of a mystery.
But English was that which united them,
And that was what really excited them.

The English tongue looked so romantic,
About it they really went frantic.
Then one of them damaged his hip,
But he still didn't lose mental grip.

And this wouldn't stop them EVER
And as for stop talking--NEVER!!

4 comments:

  1. Ellin Bliss Jaeger (North Shore '58)February 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM

    Love it, she's a real "corker" and good for a laugh as well as some serious comments that I've read before. Hope all goes well with the smashing walker, know it must be great to be home.

    We're going to OR next week to spend a week with our daughter Marla and her family. Hi to rho+

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a cousin named Grimsley, Ruth
    who we hadn’t always known in truth
    For most of her life, your first wife had no clue
    (and would surely pooh-pooh!)
    Ruth’s mother was first cuz’ to Grandma it seems
    but never knew in her wildest dreams
    That we’d meet, and we’d greet,
    Thanks to email - it’s neat!
    Mishpocha! Meshugah! Puffed wheat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those who do not know her, Ruth is actually a professional poet. Well, as professional as one can be these days when most poetry-writing earns financial rewards only when set to music that sells breakfast cereals. Ruth also has other major talents that she humbly does not mention (perhaps because one of Shakespeare's characters expresses ill will toward her and her ilk). She is even a Jewish mother whose son is a doctor -- imagine how she has to live down that cliche! And best of all, her husband is a professor AND a huge football (soccer) fan. However, as smart as he is, he has made a poor selection for which team he swings a scarf. And Sheffield is famous for its sharp knives, something to keep in mind when one deals with Ruth's honest forthrightfulness. Is that a word?

    She is, after all, a perfect counterweight for the Baron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I forgot to point out that Ruth is also a very dutiful daughter, who often travels a great distance to look in on her Mum, the most wondrous Bubby.

    And I didn't mention that soon after I visited her house in Sheffield, it tried to burn itself down, perhaps to cleanse itself?

    ReplyDelete