Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"And so from hour to hour we ripe and ripe..." (AYLI)

.....I had a problem with Monday's blog--it seems now that the last couple of paragraphs are double spaced. I'm no techie, and I don't know how that happened, but at least it's readable now. Prior to the double spacing, the last words of each line ran off the page so that they couldn't be read. I tried everything I know about copying and pasting, but I still couldn't get the text into single spacing. Perhaps someone out there knows what went went wrong and can say how to fix it. The Baron would appreciate it because he only knows about flying and shooting down hundreds of Stukas and Messerschmitzes (?) and Zeroes. That has proven to be much easier than fixing things that go wrong on the computer. My 86th is Saturday and I don't want any more problems. Bonny sent a birthday card which contained a button saying, "I've survived DAMN near Everything!" In my case--very appropriate.

.....The physical therapist is coming again today and Thursday, and I'm hoping for the final times. I don't know how much good it is doing me. My hip surgery doesn't appear to be healing too rapidly. Tomorrow I'll get more news with my appointment with the surgeon. The one positive thus far is that I am now driving again. Fortunately, Rho found the wallet that she misplaced a few weeks ago. It was under some clothing in a bureau drawer and it had my license in it. I do have an appointment at the MVB next week for a replacement license, so now I'm happy to have to cancel it.

.....Now that I'm approaching my 86th birthday I've had on my mind to decide what in my life has been my greatest accomplishment, what has brought me the greatest satisfaction--and what has been the greatest disappointment or failure. Arriving at the answers to these three questions is extremely difficult and possibly unachievable. When one has lived a life as long as I have, I suppose that can be considered as a great achievement in itself! Let's start with the failure, however, since that is easier to arrive at than the other two; I would say that the dissolution of my first marriage is the answer to that question--pure and simple. Even though Thelma and I had been married 30 years, the marriage just seemed to dissolve--to fizzle out. Who was at fault? Well, I suppose I shall have to bear some of the blame--if not most of it, but it doesn't really matter anymore. Speaking of my marriage, I'd have to say that raising four children--successfully-- can be considered an accomplishment; it took some 21 years to succeed in that effort. But I don't know if that was the greatest or not; I'd have to say that seeing them all succeed in their life choices is of great satisfaction, I don't know if that can be noted as being the greatest or not. Perhaps by Saturday I can come up with some answers.

.....However, if anyone wants to make some suggestions, feel free to do so. (Consider the two marathons!)

10 comments:

  1. I think your greatest achievement is the lasting effect that you had on your students and student athletes that had the privilage of learning under you. You taught so many to be better students and people that you are still thought of by many to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, I received a most wonderful and wondrous gift--TWO books by one of the greatest writers too few people have read.

    One is a volume of poetry that is neither paltry nor poultry. It contains not only outstanding verse but also some technical marvels not often seen in this world or possibly the next.

    The other is the latest edition of the Baron's adventures in Condoland, a volume that would make Montaigne jealous.

    With "86" upcoming, it is difficult to determine the Doc's greatest achievement and greatest lack of same.

    If pressed, imo, his greatest achievement is a dead heat between raising four splendid children in a treacherous world, fraught with peril, and surviving the slings, arrows, and vicissitudes that were launched his way. A lesser mind would have snapped.

    The Baron's greatest failing, again imo, is that he did not launch a major writing career. Even now, when his phsyicality is slightly limited, his columns are more enjoyable than any rivals whose readership and monetary compensation are unfairly superior to his.

    Now I will exercise a prerogative and change my mind. The Baron's greatest achievement in this world has been to create a very special atmosphere that has enriched the lives of all who have been lucky enough to be in that enchanted circle.

    Raise your glasses to the Baron. Long may he wave on high! Yea, verily.

    It's also nice to know that Wally Kaufman and John Storojev are still alive, whether kicking or not. Those were golden days for Sea Cliff and North Shore soccer. Nick Limar, Richard Roe, Bobby (Porky) Johnson, Lucas, Alex Krasynansky, etc., were a match for any team anywhere.

    Clifton Park was more than a challenge for visitors; it meant almost certain defeat. Those days are not gone forever; they will live as long as any of us who were there maintains even a pale shred of memory. We had fun, didn't we?"

    Phil B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing off the Krauts was pretty impressive. Coping with PTSD. Linguistic and literary career. Attracting the attention of goddess-like English lady poets

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baron is thankful for the wondrous comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There has to be a tie for "greatest accomplishment" because there are so many categories. Any goal you put your energies toward ended at the pinnacle of success:

    Soldier - Medals too numerous to mention.

    Father - Raising wonderful children, especially the sons.

    Referee - Pres. of the County Referees Assoc. and refeeing professional teams (Santos?) at the Polo Grounds

    Coach - Pres. of the County Coaches Assoc., and coach of champions in track and soccer.

    Teacher - Chairman of the Eng. Dept., and students who are still thanking you after 50+ years.

    Athlete - Two marathons at the age of 58.

    Writer - Published memoirs, poetry, and ongoing blog accounts.

    Education - PhD from an Ivy League university.

    And so on....

    For "greatest failure", it's not so easy. Even though you've been very successful with writing and acting, one could argue that you could have been a GREAT fiction novelist or a Broadway actor. However, since you never actually put your mind to these goals, the fact that you didn't reach these heights can't really be counted as a failure. A failure means that you actually tried to accomplish something and were unsuccessful.

    Your choice as marriage might count. However, you did string together TWO marriages that both lasted over 25 years, so "failure" doesn't quite describe the results.

    So, I can just think of one goal that you attempted and have thus far failed to reach the same levels of success as you have in every other endeavor. As you explain in your own words, these blogs are meant for your future generations, so it is clear that that is important to you. You also have often written how proud you are of your grandchildren. However, from my observation, you do not have the kind of close relationships with your 4 grandchildren as I believe you sought. In some cases, it is not close at all; it might even be described as contentious. As in every case, there are many reasons and explanations for the present state - some of them out of your hands - but the bottom line is that the lack of close relationships with your grandchildren might be considered to be a failure. Of course, there still might be time to turn it all around, so final judgement of this is not yet in. Also, even in "failure," you have managed to educate, because I have observed which steps I should take or not take when it's my time to deal with grandchildren. So I thank you for that.

    In light of all the accomplishments, however, you certainly have racked up a great score.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Baron has achieved so much in his short life time, but as Browning said,

    "Grow old along with me!
    The best is yet to be."

    so we can expect more outstanding achievements from our good friend.

    Nevertheless, as Jon Tessler put it, the Doc's enrichment of the lives of his students will bear fruit for generations to come.

    His "ruthless standards of personal excellence" (remember that one?) provided a guide to so many young people who went on, inevitably, to become productive adults.

    But I still do not believe that members of the Class of '57 are anywhere near 70 years old. 35, maybe, 40 possibly, but no older.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Phil B. I have often used that phrase in my classes, but it's "ruthless personal standards of excellence." How did you know this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...and what ever happened to Ellen Bliss Jaeger?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No doubt Joel is right. Relationship with my grandchildren is a dismal unfortunate failure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I'm right here. Looking at your many accomplishments, you succeeded in all the goals you set for yourself, and what goals! Big Birthday coming up, you have had so many struggles this past year, I can only hope the next one will see you walking "hands free."

    ReplyDelete