Thursday, May 2, 2013

Don't despair, not even over the fact that you don't despair. (Kafka)

.....I have one loyal soul writing most of the comments on my blog posts these days who has stated publically on this journal that she is suffering from "clinical depression".  How that differs from plain old depression or Post Traumatic Depression (PTSD) I can't say because I only have a Ph.D. in education, and not an MD-- as in charging for 30 second hospital visits.  I only know that I have been dealing with depression since I was nine years old.  Before that, I was only eight years old and had no idea what the hell was happening around me, and all I ever wanted was ice cream, candy, and fireworks. But at nine, I was definitely depressed as I watched my mother administering morphine shots to my father who was a triple amputee as a result of his experiences in WWI.  This went on every day until my dad died at the age of 33 when I was nine.  At that point,  we were as poor as anyone could be in the Great Depression.  Even poorer than the Okies in Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath".  And so my mother, my sister, and I had to move from Long Branch--by the Jersey shore--to my maternal grandparents' apartment in the cockroach infested apartment in the Bronx--where I learned how to be even more depressed. 

.....But as life goes on, and you remain vertical, you learn to fight off the "slings and arrows".  For example: All of my friends are gone, and I haven't even one "friend" here in South Florida.  Oh, I do have some fine acquaintances who I see once in a while, but no one that I see on a daily basis to converse with, to argue with, to go to lunch with. That's depressing.  However, when I'm feeling sorry for that and for other things I won't go into, I think of all the good things I've had and have now in my life.  I have Robin, Joel, Bobby, and Bonny--four children all of whom have made a very good life for themselves.  I have RH+ without whom I would suffer PTSD to the nth degree.  She said not to worry--that women would flock around me with casseroles.  Yeah, right.  Walking with a walker is also depressing, but then I realize that I'm still alive to push it around.  So, cuzzin Ruthie, balance the depression with realizing the blessings you have. 

.....I haven't written about another theme which adds up to ten, so in this post, I'll list the ten depressing things that I suffer at times.  1) People in a restaurant table near me who talk on their cell phones loud enough so that you are forced to listen to events in their private lives. 2) Children who do not remove their eyes from their I-pads or whatever during the whole day, but especially in a restaurant with their parents who ought to have banned it. Very depressing. 3) People who fail to use their signals when turning with their expensive autos and keep you guessing about what they are going to do. 4) Having your steak brought to you well-done when you ordered it medium rare and you have to send it back.  Now you have to wait for it again, meanwhile finishing your lemonade. 5) Hearing a beep on the phone while you're talking to someone and not knowing which button to push to access the "call waiting" and worrying about losing the person you were talking to in the first place. 6) When you're ready to get into bed and you realize that you have forgotten to take your afternoon pills and worrying about the effect that might have on your plan to be the oldest living WWII veteran. Depressing...definitely. 7) Getting a $25 charge on your checking account because you don't have enough money in the bank to cover a check you have written. 8) Not knowing any depressing things in order to cover 9) and 10). Very depressing.

.....I know I haven't written a post on this blog for a number of days, so this one appears to be long enough to bore my readers...or my reader.  Depressing.

8 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM

    What a heartening blog entry, dear Baron! How good of you to post as soon as I emailed you to see how you were!!
    Well - I will confess to being the friend with clinical depression. Frankly, the illness is so horrible that any possible stigma attaching to mental illness is as nothing to the enduring of it. I put the "clinical" in, because the word "depressing," as you imply, can also mean "making one extremely miserable." Jane Austen uses the word in this sense in "Pride and Prejudice," and who am I to argue with her? But the illness is a lot worse and more agonizing and disabling than just being made miserable. And YOU KNOW THIS, dear Baron! Much love, cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being depressed is depressing. Knowing it and talking about it should help. Why is being depressed such a bad thing? There are lots of "Feelings" humans have and some are bad and some are good. Why is it considered an illness? I lived with a depressed person for years. Nothing I did could change it. All I think you can do is confront it, don't keep it a secret, share your thoughts with someone who cares and face it. Every now and then consider all that is good in life and embrace it. Some people are morning people, all the others drink coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear biker person, thanks for the analysis, the philosophy and the diagnoses. We will keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 4, 2013 at 12:15 PM

    Yes, thank you, Cousin Bobby, your thoughts will be my guide: and so glad that you agree that there's no point keeping it a secret. And actually, in Sheffield, talking to people at the bus stop or in the queue at the Post Office, I find that the awful winter we've just had in England has produced what I can only describe as an epidemic of depression! What's so common must be normal, I'm sure. Much love, Cousin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only reason Great Britain gained an empire was because its denizons were too depressed to stay at home, so they conquered as many lands with sunshine and warmer climes as they could.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cuzzin Ruthie, Please keep your head up. Being depressed is not a fun thing. but as i like to say "thank god for drugs". Hope you feel sunny and the sun starts shining again in great britain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry to hear your depressed Cuzzin Ruthie. talking can help unless your like me, who is not a talker and likes to keep everything inside. hope you are in a sunnier mood soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 12, 2013 at 7:20 AM

    Thank you, Cuzzin Jon! Most kind of you to come out 'n' TALK to me, if it's something to which you're not accustomed! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete