Thursday, May 23, 2013

".....Events cast their shadows..." (Thomas Campbell)

.....Things have been rather scary around here the last couple of days; that is, yesterday and today.  Yesterday, we both had doctors' appointments-- and mine was OK, but Rhoda's doctor said her blood pressure was too high--over 200.  This was the first visit we had to these doctors.  The doctor we had been going to for many years pissed us off; that is, made us angry.  On one recent visit to him we waited an hour past our appointment time, so we just got up and left. A week or so later, we also waited an hour past our appointment time, so we just left again.  We decided that we would just leave this guy and find another internist. My school district had sent us a book with names of doctors on my health plan, and we found a couple who were nearby with offices right next to the one we left.  Rhoda picked one and I picked one that I had seen many years ago; and so we called and made appointments.  These docs took us on time and spent an hour with each of us.  Incredible...


  
.....After we got home Rhoda's doctor called once more and said she should go to the hospital immediately and that there they would have the equipment and medication to bring her blood pressure down and so we did. We went to the emergency room and it was a new ER experience; that is we didn't have to wait too long for them to take Rhoda to a room in the ER with a hospital bed... Amazing.  We had planned to go out for dinner, but of course we didn't make it.  However I hadn't eaten anything all day so I went to Dunkin' Donuts for a bagel and cream cheese.  Once, last year, I went five days (believe it or not) without having eaten a morsel, and of course, three of these days I was in the hospital.  Well, the finality of this unexpected occurrence was that RH+ became positive again.  She called my cell phone while I was finishing up my elegant "dinner" and said she was ready to come home; so I drove back to the hospital to pick her up.  She said that the pill they gave her drove her blood pressure back to normal.  And so to bed.
 
MAY 23
 
.....Today, another doctor day.  She had to go back to have her blood pressure checked again.  If it went back over 200 that would be very serious.  That kind of pressure could lead to a stroke; and that is the last thing we wanted.  I, too, have to see my cardiologist--just for my 4 month checkup.  At the same time, while there, am going to have my pacemaker checked.  It's supposed to be changed, I believe, every seven years, and this one is up o five.  If this whole post seems rather dreary, I apologize--but whatever is, is.

1 comment:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 23, 2013 at 9:45 PM

    Dreariness doesn't come into it when friends (and relatives emeritus!) are having a rotten time of it. This friend in England didn't think "dreary, dreary, dreary!" when reading your posting of yesterday, dear Baron. Just lots of love and sympathy and vibes of support from across the pond! Get well soon, both of you!!
    I note from the new comments (nos. 5 & 6) on the previous posting that Ellin Bliss Jaeger is back again, and that's just great. As far as I can tell, she met you, lost you, found you, lost you again, and then found you again. Is this right? If so, it proves true yet again my contention that there's absolutely no point reading fiction, as real life is so much more astounding and interesting. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete