Monday, May 6, 2013

"...it is not an inn, but a hospital, which is not a place to live in, but to die in." (Thomas Browne)

.....Yesterday RH+ and I went to a real movie for the first time in over a year, I'm guessing.  I really haven't had the motivation to see whether or not I could climb the stairs almost to the top where I like to sit.  I was also concerned about where I would be able to leave my walker.  We went to a very new shopping center built only about two miles west of here.  We were fortunate to find a handicap parking space which puzzled me because when you go anywhere around here it's walker territory, but I saw hundreds of kids coming in and out of this brand new movie theatre.  This indicated that very young parents bought homes in this area.  This theatre sells reserved seats only, and you can buy them on the internet if you choose.  We found out about that too late and in order to see "42" we had to sit in the third row!  It really wasn't too bad and we both got used to it.  The movie was great.  Chadwick Boseman played Jackie Robinson and Harrison Ford played Branch Rickey.  Both of them, especially Boseman, were first rate.  I never heard of Boseman, and I had to get used to seeing Harrison in a role very different from those he usually plays.  Go see it if you get the chance.
 
.....About 4:30am RH+ woke me and said she wasn't feeling well.  She was perspiring and she had vomited up some pills she had taken.  We called 911 and in 10 minutes three football-sized guys in blue uniforms came into the house and took all of Rho's vital signs as well as an EKG.  At this point she was more like RH--.  At any rate she told them that she did not want to go to the hospital, and I thought that decision was the right one for her as she was feeling better.  Whenever I go into the hospital for any reason it just makes me feel worse.  Besides the fact that they stick a needle in your hand and hook you up to an IV.  This makes it almost impossible to get to a bathroom.  A Haitian nurse then pops in every two minutes and sticks a needle in your vein somewhere and removes a pint of blood from your body.  Then your doctor orders every kind of test for you, and they only take you to the tests after they wake you from a deep sleep.  At 5am another Haitian comes in and wants to give you a bath.  So, my advice is do not fail to fail to agree to go to the hospital when the football team asks.  I'm a man of experience.

5 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM

    Hope Rh+ gets and stays well, dear Baron. Re your remarks on going to hospital, etc., I should tell you that I'm the most appalling hypochondriac and am always consulting the medical profession, but my best friend Sue who is exactly the same age as me thinks that the best way to maintain ones health is to stay well away from doctors. It'll be interesting to see which one of us survives longer and in better shape. Glad you enjoyed the movie, from whichever seat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ergo, this combination of colors of May 6, that drives me to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mike: I fixed the color, just so you'll stay sober.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ruthie, is "she is the same age as me am" Greek?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 12, 2013 at 7:17 AM

    No - it isn't any language that I recognise. Not even MODERN Greek, the grammar of which is completely chaotic: I know, because I spent last winter studying it. Believe it or not, it's a lot more complicated than Ancient Greek, which I studied about seven years ago. However, going back to English, I think that you can use the word "me" as a correct demonstrative pronoun, even if, had you been constructing the full clause, "the same age as me am" is clearly wrong. I could be mistaken, so if you go further into the matter, please let me know your findings! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete