Sunday, May 19, 2013

"Anger is one of the sinews of the soul." (Thomas Fuller)

.....Lately there have been a few things that have raised my hackles (or is it "shackles"?).  For one, I've read that there are a number of states that have placed so many strictures on abortions as to make it all but impossible for a woman to be in charge of her own body and desires.  And here I thought that the Supreme Court adjudicated Roe V. Wade and claimed that abortions in the United States are legal.  If so, how can states of the union flaunt that decision?  Oh, yes, I firmly believe it comes about because very conservative Republican legislatures in these states are responsible. And, of course, religious views must play a big part in their decisions.  Are we still in the Civil War?  Can the federal government stand by and allow these states to disregard the law of the land?  I guess they can, though I'm no expert on law; I'm just a poet.
 
.....Another decision is putting me into a rage; my newspaper is dropping their listing of TV shows each day, and if a reader wants to know what to watch he has to subscribe to the magazine called "TV Weekly".  That surprise was published in today's paper.  There was no indication, of course, of what this subscription will cost, but that's not even relative.  The fact is, I've paid for a subscription to this newspaper,
"The Sun-Sentinel" and TV listings have been part of what I pay for.  Next thing you know is they will drop the sports page and ask readers to subscribe to "Sports Illustrated".  This paper is not a star in the sky to begin with; the front page section is devoted to full page ads and very little news.  I don't know if the paper can do what they are doing and stay within the law.  I'll find out.  I guess they can, though I'm not an expert on law; I'm just a poet.
 
.....The third piece of news that can drive me to drink (Rhoda usually drives me places. I'm not supposed to drink) is the situation in Syria.  There are too many countries who are looking to the United States to become more involved in solving that civil war.  We have got to stop being the policeman of this world.  These other countries have got to join this "police" force and stop looking to us.  The very worst thing we could  do now is to get into another ground war just as we are ending the war we have been at in Afghanistan for ten years, spending zillions of dollars and loosing thousands of young lives.

6 comments:

  1. Wonԁeгful items from you, man. I have been aωаre of уοur stuff prеѵіοusly and уоu arе simply too fantastiс. I really like what уou've got here, really like what you're stating аnԁ
    the best ωay bу which you aѕsеrt it.
    You're making it enjoyable and you continue to care for to keep it smart. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a great website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM

    Baron, I agree with you about abortion and Roe vs. Wade, but you have to accept that there are large numbers of your compatriots who don't. And before there was Roe vs. Wade, there wasn't Roe vs. Wade, if you see what I mean: so I suppose the anti-abortionists think, perhaps not without reason, that the country can revert to that position. It is not good, but there is no point letting it make you angry. However, I'm sympathetic about the newspapers: my husband and I have a version of Alvin Toffler's "Future Shock," whereby if there's anything worth having at a decent price, we shake our heads and say: "It's too good to last!" As for Syria, yes, you are right. Why should the USA have to be the world's policemen? Especially as idiotic left-wingers across the western world then revile the USA for being just that. And now I'll tell you one thing that gets ME angry: it's the use of the word "flaunt" when the right word is "flout!" Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although "flaunt" is undoubtedly an outgrowth of "flout" it cannot be considered substandard, so the Baron suggests that Ms.Grimsley get into the 21st Century if she comes to America where "flout" is used only occasionally by schoolmarms. Some examples of what we use here in Yankland: <in our profession … very rarely do we publicly chastise a colleague who has flaunted our most basic principles — R. T. Blackburn. Use of flout in the sense of flaunt is found occasionally by grammarians still in the 18th Century.

      Delete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 20, 2013 at 6:10 AM

    Gosh, that's really interesting, dear Baron. Over here, "flout" is still correct, although it's fighting a losing battle against "flaunt." Well, I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it as usual. Or maybe I'll "flaunt" the change in usage, ha ha! You might be interested to know that similar problems arise on this side of the Pond with "mitigate" and "militate." Are you having that problem over in the ex-colonies too? Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellin Bliss JaegerMay 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM

    I found you again after all these years. What a shame, I changed servers and didn't import your blog address.
    Well, I'm back and will catch up in the next few weeks.
    So glad you are up to going to the movies, I regret having missed "42" will catch it on DVD. Oh those Dodgers, listening on the radio!
    My best to you and RH, just regret not checking sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It's Ellin again. I wondered what happened to you. If you had my email address, I could have given you a link to my blog. I believe I did send you an email asking you to come back here. Love, Baron

    ReplyDelete