Thursday, May 9, 2013

"Whenever you have an efficient government, you have a dictatorship" (Truman)

.....The color of the text you see today was picked out by RH+. The font is "Ariel"; it is one of the fonts that the publisher of my books prefers, so I give them what they want.  There are other fonts that I prefer, but this is OK.  I don't believe that those few who read my blog have any problems reading it.  They may have a few problems with what I have to say from day to day, but I shall continue to put my faith on the First Amendment. How come all the politicians with brains go back to the 18th Century?  Whenever the Supreme Court has a problem deciding on a tough case the judges run to read the Constitution.  A couple of them can't understand what they read and invariably come up with an improper judgment.  Who knows...perhaps it's really a proper judgment, but sometimes it collides with my opinion; then again, who am I to judge a judge?  However, on occasion the Court's decisions make many Americans very unhappy.  For example, if they decide that abortion is unconstitutional it will infuriate American women, and even some guys. And of course it will also make the religious right very happy, and the Constitution does say something about the "Pursuit of happiness."  Doesn't it? The Court may also decide against same sex marriage, thus causing a million or so gays to live together in  mortal sin; or should I say "immoral sin"?  It's all so confusing that my brain is spinning.  I didn't want to write on this subject, but look what happened.
 
.....and speaking (writing?) of government agencies we must have a reasonable and responsible policy for veterans of all generations who are injured or ill.  With the proposed downsizing of our military and the slow recovery of our economy, more veterans will be relying on the Department of Veterans Affairs for services and benefits for years to come.  Our government must get prepared to handle such a large influx of veterans of the long wars we have engaged in and the billions of dollars they have caused us.  Our country must be fully prepared to fulfill its promise to the nation's veterans.  The VA's budget must recognize and reflect the need.  Right now it takes months and perhaps years to respond to the claims that have been served for medical benefits that are sorely needed, and this is a blight on our nation's psyche.  I have been very fortunate myself since returning home from my service in WWII.  My claim for medical and financial aid was swiftly approved.  Sadly, that is not the case today, and there is no reason for long delays.  America must do what is needed and what is right.

10 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 10, 2013 at 8:07 AM

    With regard to "the pursuit of happiness" phrase in your Constitution, Baron, I think it is fair to remind everyone that when it was drafted, the concept of "happiness" was far more simple and possibly narrower than it is now. It meant being able to afford to marry and have children whom you didn't have to watch starve, and freedom of religion, and freedom from arbitrary power. Tyranny, poverty, religious oppression - these are what the Founding Fathers wanted everyone who came to America to avoid. Thinking on matters like abortion and gay activity were centuries in the future. A pro-lifer could argue that a foetus is entitled to a happy life too. I'm not saying you're wrong on the issues of gay marriage and abortion - in fact, I think you're right - but I'm not certain that your Constitution as drafted furthers the debate that much.
    Re your veterans: is it true that they are being neglected? If so, this is a disgrace. My eldest, Sam, is a surgeon, and at this moment working in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, where our wounded of Afghanistan are taken. He's doing astounding and exalted work there. I believe that some of it is even innovatory, and will eventually benefit the whole of humankind. And it's on the NHS, but of course you don't have that. Shame, but there it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "innovatory"? It's Greek to me (wrote W.S.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM

      Well, Baron, W. S. had no access to Google, which assures me that "innovatory" is a word, and moreover that it means what I thought it did, which is "generating new ideas or products." I'm not entirely happy with the word "product" here, as its meaning has been diminished and narrowed by both capitalism and communism, but I've not yet thought of a better one. Probably the Greeks had a word for it! And since we're both talking Greek, you might be interested to know that the Greeks, who aren't in a position to say "It's all Greek to me," say, "It's all Chinese to me!" Cuzzin Ruth

      Delete
  3. In the 18th century, didn't "happy" and "gay" mean the same thing? So, the "pursuit of happiness" was equal to the "pursuit of gayness." Case closed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not the font that dometimes enrage the populace. It's the color of the font against a white background, that you sometimes choose. which causes weak contrast and a desire to turn you in to the cybernetic posse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM

    Mike: stop being such a fuss-bucket! I have no difficulty in reading the coloured text, and I respectfully suggest that you consult your optician - after, that is, you've seen your dr. to collect your little blue pills. I've noticed that you've gone VERY quiet on THAT subject!!
    Joel: arrant rubbish!! Going gay wouldn't make me any happier: I'm 100% heterosexual. And I'm a bit grumpy about the matter, as the day before yesterday when I was trying to get out of Lanzarote, an elderly Amazon-like security guard at the airport frisked me - with undue heaviness of hand - for no better reason than that she was a Lesbian (I think) and fancied me. Yuk, yuk, and mega-yuk. Cuzzin Ruth
    PS: for the avoidance of confusion, yes, this was the second time I've been to Lanzarote this year. Joel - Lanzarote is NOT off the beaten track unless you live in the ex-colonies in the area known as Virginia. So there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take exception to your remark about "those little blue pills."
      Actually, I find myself getting stronger with age Years ago, i couldn't bend it. Now I can. Regards

      Delete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 12, 2013 at 10:50 PM

    Mike - that was really really funny! Lends a new meaning to the phrase "stand-up comedian." I love a man who can make me laugh. Bend it like Beckham!! Come up and see me some time!!! (Email address as above..) Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth, the gayness comment was in regards to the Baron's main entry about same-sex marriage and the Constitution. But since you seem to take the comment so personally, the highlight of your trip seems to be the body pat-down, and you have such a fascination with the Greek isles (which includes Lesbos), perhaps she doth protest too much about the 100%?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM

    Joel - I'm pleading the Fifth in respect of the REAL highlights of my hol. Cousin Ruth

    ReplyDelete