Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"With too much blood and too little brain, these two may run mad." (Troilus and Cressida)

.....Well, here it is, at last; Shakespeare's birthday--also the day he and Miguel de Cervantes both died on April 23, 1616.  I always like to celebrate Shakespeare's birthday in some way, and tonight I believe I will treat RH+ to dinner out.  Perhaps we will toast him with a glass of wine--or, at least, a diet coke.  It happens to be a sad day also even though I have finally gotten over my grief at his death.  One of my very favorite cousins who died recently was also born on April 23rd--but not in 1616.  William died at a very young age; if my math is correct, he was only 52.  He was born in 1564.  How many more great plays and sonnets might he have written if he lived a longer life.  He was a knockoff of Nostradamus; able to predict the future. (Check out the title above!) Weird. Anyway, I always thought that if I was stranded on a desert island I would like to have a book of Shakespeare's plays, and perhaps the Bible--not to read as a religious book, but as great literature.  Kudos to those who helped write it.  I attended the Dramatic Arts club here in Huntington Lakes, and never heard anyone try a soliloquy from one of Shakespeare's plays.  I always maintained that if one were serious about learning to act, they would have to read aloud a piece from Shakespeare. I wonder if any celebrities were born on my birthday? 
 
.....The day of the Boston Marathon and it's aftermath was amazing.  It was almost hypnotic to keep watching the TV news and listening to events as they occurred. The speed at which these two brothers were apprehended from film taken at the scene of the explosion by Boston police, CIA and FBI agents should make other would-be terrorists think twice about their sadistic enterprises.  These two dummies were on a college campus to do who-knows-what when they hijacked a van and killed a policeman.  That shut Boston down and led to the death of one of the brothers in a car chase, and the other brother was shot and captured in a boat resting like Noah's Ark in the back yard of a resident.  Perhaps he thought it was already on the ocean for him to make his escape.  If he looks like a nut, and acts like a nut, he must be a nut.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary of the birth of William Shakespeare, Baron! (It's also St George's Day here in England, so lots of super parties with folk music. I'll be thumping out chords on my electric piano half the night!!) Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am vainglorious. I believe that I have found the most apt title for my posting that has ever graced my blog. Thank you Mr.Speare, sir, for documenting my vaingloriousness. (Here, at least)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM

    I agree with you about the title, dear Baron. One point about your posting - Shakespeare did in fact have a reasonably long life for the age in which he lived. Knowledge of medicine, public health and sanitation was not much above zilch in those days. Take a look at the lifespans of the two great English composers Orlando Gibbons and Henry Purcell if you don't believe me. Their early deaths were great tragedies, but it was the way of things then. Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't watch all the news about the Boston Bombing. I am glad that the Police and FBI did their job so quickly and efficiently to catch the brothers who did it.

    ReplyDelete