Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle."

.....Well the bottom line is this--I am happy to report that I am pain free. I don't know when it happened or where or why, but the only pain that remains is the sore on my heel, but that "pain" is bearable.  I am going to that hyperbaric treatment every day and that is supposed to bring oxygen to my heel, and by some magical event--heal the heel. I don't know what it does or how it does it, and I am anxiously awaiting whatever result results. I still am having a wound care nurse coming to the house every three days, and a physical therapist also comes every three days.  Val, my aide drags me to the hyperbaric therapy every day. 

.....Enough already with the medical history as it goes along; right now, I feel like writing about sports.  Tonight is the All Star baseball game, and I will be watching it for sure.  I have to root for the National League because I am a Marlin fan, and they are in the National League.  Perhaps we'll witness something extraordinary just as the last minutes of the girls' soccer game.  I'm a coach, and always will be, and I marvel at the speed these girls have carrying the ball.   They are just as fast dribbling the ball as they would be without it.  And it's exciting to see them speeding down the wings and crossing the ball.  Maybe Amy Walmbach(SP?)will put a header in the goal tomorrow as the US team plays France.  I wonder at the French team; I thought French girls were more interested in fashion displays than they are kicking a soccer ball.  If the US wins, I believe they will win the World Cup.  Well, enough of sports; don't want to lose  my English cuzzin for lack of interest.  

11 comments:

  1. The best news is that the Baron is pain-free!!! Well done, good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the pain-free state achieved soon after a heavy dose of morphine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM

    Hooray, hooray, you're cured today! Heartfelt felicitations, so glad for you to be out of that hip pain!!

    Er....although I've got a blind spot when it comes to a lot of sport, I don't think my loved ones will ever lose me because they're going on about it! There's rather a lot of sport around, isn't there. I can well see that if I liked sport, life would never contain a dull moment! And if I were to cut myself off from sport-lovers, I'd probably have to be a hermit. PS Anyone want to talk about snooker? Oh no - I remember, we've had this conversation before, haven't we, with either you, dear Cuzzin, or Cuzzin Joel, trying to convince me that snooker wasn't a sport. I can't remember what the result of the debate was, mainly because whether or not snooker is a sport is not a problem the solution of which gives rise to any concern in my bosom at all. Truly sorry about that! Not even sure I'm all that interested in what's going on on the snooker table - it might just be the sight of very formally dressed men wielding big long sticks that does it for me.....Cuzzin Ruth ONCE MORE - SO GLAD YOU'RE OUT OF PAIN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that you have enjoyed the tough American girls beating the French, you can look forward to the finals against the wily Japanese. USA, USA, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellin Bliss Jaeger (North Shore '58)July 14, 2011 at 10:29 PM

    We're going to Cape Cod tomorrow but will surely watch those American women on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellin Bliss Jaeger (North Shore '58)July 14, 2011 at 10:37 PM

    Must comment on the longed for happy report: "Pain Free". Yipee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 15, 2011 at 9:19 PM

    Dear Cuzzin - did everyone know the source of the quotation you put at the top of your posting? They were the words of the ageing procuress in "Mayhew's London." Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe no one knows the source of the title. It comes from Samuel Butler's "The Way of all Flesh" (Ch.61)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM

    Dear Baron - it might indeed be in Butler's magnum opus, but Mayhew lived and wrote much earlier than Butler! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't want to one-up anyone, especially since the Baron is on target but I remember hearing the expression when I was growing up in Jaw-Ja, in the '40s.

    There were a fair share of May-December marriages in the area then. Helen Longstreet, widow of the general, a fine lady in every way, survived until 1967 when she was 99 years young.

    Some of us had the honor of cutting her lawn. She tried to pay us, but no way. However, she insisted that everyone drink freely of the best lemonade we ever tasted.

    When I went to Columbia, Leopold Stokowski, the world-renowned conductor, married that obese woman, Gloria Vanderbilt. She closed one eye and a tailor attempted to thread her.

    Leo was an ancient 63 when he married Gloria, who was slightly younger (21). Douglas Moore, the Pulitzer Prize-winning composer for his opera, GIANTS IN THE EARTH, used the proverb in our HUMANITIES (MUSIC) class, and then announced that, "There is hope for us old fogies." Professor Moore was a mere 52 at the time.

    Anderson Cooper is indeed Gloria's son, but by her fourth husband. She is now 87 years old, the same age as the sainted Dr. Ross, but neither as clever or good-looking as our beloved Baron.

    Stokowski lived to be 95 before booking transportation to another realm. Norman/Dad/Doc/Baron will pass that milestone easily on the way to the century mark plus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 17, 2011 at 6:50 PM

    It seems, then, that the words are an old saying that weren't by anyone, and first surfaced, but only to my knowledge, in Mayhew - and are probably older than that! I now withdraw from this discussion, as I am a mere 63 years of age. (That's only 21 x 3!) Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete