Monday, July 18, 2011

"Be wary then, best safety lies in fear" (Hamlet)


.....One day  we were on submarine patrol in the English Channel.  Our mission was to protect the convoys that were shipping armaments and supplies to England from the United States.  Subs had attacked and torpedoed and sank two ships to this time.  I was on the radio and navigating the flight for two hours before returning to the tail guns.  Suddenly, flack began to appear in our path.  Unfortunately, I had mistakenly navigated us over Guernsey and Jersey which we were told to avoid, and we were the target of the German guns on those islands.  The flack was all around us from Nazi guns, which were very accurate.  The flack tore a hole in the plane near the bomb bay doors and also wounded Norman England in his right leg as he manned the waist guns.  Blood was pouring out from this wound, and so immediately I tore my skivvy shirt and applied a tourniquet to England’s leg while he grit his teeth in pain Our plane was hit so hard by the flack that it rendered us unflyable; we had to ditch into the English Channel.  England did not know how to swim and his leg needed much more attention than I was able to give him, but at least the tourniquet stopped the bleeding.  We were going down into the dark water, but strangely I had no fear. When something like this misadventure occurs defenses come to the fore.  I was 17 and I would not, could not die.  The plane landed with a thump, thump, thump and when it came to a stop, and before it sank I grabbed England by his collar and swam out of the plane’s waist hatch.

…..Luckily, I was a very good swimmer having lived a block from the Atlantic Ocean in my younger years.  I knew I would  have to keep England afloat; and I was able to do that for a while,  and feared that I could not do it for much longer in the freezing water. But what I saw coming directly at us, made me hysterical with joy, tearful though it was.  An English rescue boat fished us out of the freezing water in a second or two and supplied us with warm blankets.  Norman was brought to the medical room where he was attended to by a couple of RNs.  I did not see any other members of my crew, but when we got to Plymouth I met them all in the hospital.  It was a fearsome thing to be shot out of the sky, but the skill of our pilot, Lt. Noehren, made our ditching easy enough for all of us to escape into the water and await rescue by the English, and so it came to pass.

6 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 18, 2011 at 6:27 PM

    Well done again, dear Cuzzin, for acting above and beyond the call of duty. Also your posting was, to an Englsih person, very interesting. It is now recognised that our Royal Navy did not do enough to protect our Merchant Navy. This was because of pure snobbery and contempt of Merchant Navy personnel by the RN. The MN was regarded by the RN as the scum of the earth, full of criminals, misfits, layabouts and poofs. In fact, a lot of the MN WERE gay, but it is begining to be recognised that many of them behaved heroically. A hitherto unwritten chapter in gay history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although the story of the ditching was recounted briefly in your book, as I recall, this again is the first time I've heard the details of the story. I feel that you must write an addendum to your autobiography (besides the one that contains poetry) that provides these details. Based on the title of the book, many readers expect to read these harrowing tales of battle and survival, but they were glossed over when the time came to recount them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jon, you defend your point of view very well, and I understand what you say, although I don't agree with it. I earned my two DFCs and they certainly weren't awarded "arbitrarily". My actions speak for themselves, and I included two of them in my blog. If I received two DFCs there must be a reason behind the awards, and I wear them with pride and honor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi JR, I fully understand your desire to hear more detailed recounts of my actions in WWII that led to the awarding of two DFCs for me. I feel that my readers must understand the criteria that led to those awards and the actions that the awards represent. I really cannot see the point of writing an addendum to my book. The book as it stands now with the actions “glossed over” must stand on its own merits. And readers must bear with the two actions I describe in my posting. I cannot continue with any more descriptive accounts; if I do I risk flashbacks and nightmares which I have kept at bay for many years with psychiatric treatment for what is now known as PTSD. I’m sure you are aware of this. I ask foregiveness for failing to do as you suggest and for not continuing with descriptive accounts of my service in WWII. Eleven Air Medals and two DFCs are sufficiently descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baron, I have always been aware of your heroism and that fact that your awards were merited. As you have stated 2 DFC's and 11 air medals stand on their own and are a justly deserved testimony to your valor and character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon, and whoever else might be listening: I do value my awards, for me they are a sacred trust. But I value more my teaching career, my coaching career, and my acting and musical career, and though it's not visible, my lover career for which RH+ is the foremost recipient.

    ReplyDelete