Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Virginia Visit Caper

.....For the first time in several years, we were treated to a visit by my son, Joel and my daughter-in-law, Barbara.  They stayed only for three days, but it was sufficient for us to enjoy each other's company.  The first night they were here we went out to have dinner at an Italian restaurant.  Unfortunately, it was closed and we wound up at Bonefish.  I don't cotton to fish, so I ordered a filet mignon and a crab cake.  Barbara seemed to enjoy "bang, bang" shrimp.  I tried one and it was very tasty.  Next time I'm in Bonefish, I'll probably order that dish.  The following night we dined at Massimo's.  I had lasagna which was thoroughly filling and enjoyable.  The others appeared to enjoy their own dinners.  Meanwhile we were able to chat and catch up on what each of us were doing.  I could not walk, but I was able to ambulate with my walker.  When we got back to the house we all watched "America Has Talent" which was very nice--only I did not notice any act that had talent.  The three judges appeared to be passing every act on to Las Vegas.  We did the same thing on the following night after we returned from a  Chinese buffet; we did interrupt the viewing for a while discussing what will be left in my will.  I've been collecting coins lo these many years and I gave Joel my entire collection.  I hope he doesn't get a back ache from loading the books on his back.  Now, I don't have much more to leave to him, and I'm trying to think about what I can leave to his siblings.  I'm sure I'll come up with something that they'll treasure as a memento from their father.  It was a sad farewell when they left here last night.  They are a delightful couple, and who knows when they will return?

.....They both had an opportunity to see that in order for me to get around, I need my walker and my scooter.  As a matter of fact, Joel had to drive me to the VA Hospital one day and I did have to take my scooter there where I had some dental work done.  He learned how to drive that scooter himself and how to load it onto the lift on my car.  That was helpful.  Now, I think he may go out and buy his own scooter.  I am still taking hyperbaric oxygen treatments every day, and I'm not convinced that they are doing me any good although the wound care doctor thinks otherwise and prescribed twenty more of those treatments.  Nevertheless, in spite of all the physical problems and pain I am coping with, I have a spark within me that will never burn out.  It will sustain me, as it has so many other times in my life.  So, friends need not be concerned about my giving up; that cannot happen.

9 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 7, 2011 at 8:40 PM

    Hi Cuzzin Baron - so glad about the visit from Joel and Barbara. I love them too!! And I have to say that if you are relishing your food as much as you seem to be, then things MUST be getting better. "Bang bang shrimp?" A new one on me. Exactly what are the shrimps getting up to?

    Keep up the hyped-up barbaric therapy! I'm sure it's doing that recalcitrant sore on your heel good. When that's sorted, then we can all start on the mega-project of getting you our of that awful pain in your hip. In the meantime, "Keep on taking the tablets," as God said to Moses

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear boy, are you still taking coumadin? If so, there is a better solution to your problem. Ask your physician about dabigatran; tests have shown this medication to be more effective than coumadin without the necessity for blood testing.

    10 years ago I was taking coumadin because of 24/7 atrial fibrillation. As a side effect, it was causing bruises and black spots on my arms whenever I came within 3 feet of a wall. In addition, I had to have a blood test every 3 weeks.

    After doing considerable research, I told my doctor that I would no longer take coumadin. He was shocked. How dare a patient question his prescription? He told me that I would most likely have a stroke within a year.

    It's been ten and counting. I take one Ecotrin (81 mm aspirin) every day and it is all good. The doctor has not been as fortunate.

    Soooo, at the very least ask your physician about dabigatran or possibly some more recent medication.

    Good news that the Baron will never strike his colors. Better days are coming, as heralded by your visit from Joel and Barbara (a beautiful couple in every way). Something else good will happen shortly.

    Scooters sound like fun but there is no replacement for exercise. Do the right thing and set a good example for the untermenschen, mein ubermenschen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellin Bliss Jaeger (North Shore '58)July 7, 2011 at 10:47 PM

    I knew that spark must still be there. Gives us all faithful readers a lift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 7, 2011 at 11:03 PM

    Phil - doctor predeceased you? Aaawwwww...or maybe HA HA HA. Or maybe he's still alive but in worse case than your goodself. In which case it's "Physician, heal thyself!" Let me know how the highly-qualified arrogant idiot is doing.

    It's well-known among sensible doctors that most of their patients have expert understanding of their own condition. What was wrong with this guy's head? Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever, Cuz Ruth. Neither Joel nor Barbara is to be taken lightly, and it's good that Cuz Doc and Rhods appreciate them.

    Speaking of Rhoda, she has said that the hyperbaric treatments are working. That seems like conclusive evidence to me.

    Baron, you did not mention the visit of the lovely Bonnie and Grandson Sean. That must have been a morale booster as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 8, 2011 at 8:58 AM

    Phil - you are amazing in every way: loving and caring and knowledgable. And thanks for all the lovely things you said about me in Comment 12 on the Baron' posting before this one. Re moving somewhere warmer: well, naturally, I've often thought of it. But finally I think it's very risky to ones ultimate wellbeing to leave ones country, and all one loves about it, just because the climate isn't agreeable. There'so much I'd miss about England - the people, the culture, everything. Maybe the challenging climate has helped shape the people into the intelligent and witty and friendly folk that they are. Quien sabe?

    Dear Cuzzin Baron - thinking about you all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a great time visiting the Baron's castle, and just managed to leave before a major stormfront. I should clarify to the readers that this was the first visit in a few years by the two of us together -- individual visits had occurred before this. Also, the last three planned visits together were canceled at the last minute by various obstacles (i.e., broken hips).

    I also would like to report to the Baron's followers that his constant pain is actually a "normal" result of the surgery and the healing process. Unfortunately, patients with this type of injury can expect such pain to last a minimum of 6 months. Lesser patients, with no adoring public, often succumb to the suffering, but in this case, the patient is none other than Le Baron Rouge d'Rey, and Suffering does not realize that it has no chance of victory in this battle -- for Le Baron fights this time not just for himself, but for his spouse and his cheering readers.

    Yes, now I want a scooter for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Uncle Phil! Thank you for noticing that Sean and I made a visit. It was for Fathers Day. Quite a long trip,we made but well worth it.Quite a few conversations with Dad, The Baron, Sean had wanted to have his "poems" read,which they were, I cooked a dinner one night, I was looking forward to a blog . No mention. Ah, well. We had quite an interesting and thoughtful time.We are so very glad we were there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cuz Ruth, sadly the doctor in question had a severe bleeding episode, imo, caused by coumadin, which enabled him to go to his reward. He was 45 years old,

    You are absolutely correct, you charming English wren,--a knowledgeable patient, using the powerful forces of the internet, is frequently able to understand his situation better than his doctor does.

    I concede your point about your native land, but would not if you lived in Teheran. This happy breed among whom you live on your blessed isle is a living treasure. Hannah Ross, Joel's daughter, is currently conquering the London art world.

    Now that Joel has put the Baron's health situation into perspective, we can all expect many more happy and productive years from the rightful Emperor of Florida. From my lips to God's ears!

    ReplyDelete