Thursday, July 21, 2011

"I will drink life to the lees" (Tenn)

.....Well, I'm still being treated in a hyperbaric chamber--or bubble as I call it. The Mayo Clinic describes this treatment as breathing pure oxygen in a pressurized chamber. It is commonly used to treat serious infections, bubbles of air in your blood pressure, and wounds that won't heal.  In a hperbaric oxygen chamber, the air pressure is raised up to three times higher than normal.Under these conditions, your lungs can gather up to three  times more oxygen than would be possible breathing it at normal air pressure. The increased oxygen dissolves in your blood during this therapy and circulates throughout your body.Oxygen-rich blood stimulates your body to release substances called growth factors and stem cells which promote healing. I've had a sore on my heal since March which refuses to heal.  Hopefully this therapy will help because the wound is very painful.

.....Val, our aide, who at this time we cannot do without, drives me to the facility about 11:30 every morning and I spend an hour and a half in the bubble. There's nothing I can do in the chamber but nap or watch TV at a set placed outside the chamber.  Let me tell you, it's really quiet and peaceful in there.  I kind of like it.  There's no one to bother me.  When I'm released, Val usually drives us to lunch at a local deli.  Rhoda often comes to join us. At home I have to contend with a wound care nurse who comes every three days to dress the wound, and then a physical therapy nurse who comes to give me her version of therapy which includes torture. So, in other words, I'm a physical wreck.  

.....I've been enjoying the banter on the comments to this blog, and the chatter among my readers mostly of whom are Phil B, JR, EllenJ, and Ruth, my compatriot and new cousin across the ocean. Recently there's been a dialogue involving why and how medals are awarded, and it has been of great interest to me.  I only hope there is no rancor developing because of different theories by different participants. All is past, anyway, I have the medals and they're hanging on the wall and one of my four will get them when I'm past. Actually, the medals aren't there at all. They are in a briefcase in my closet.  The ribbons representing them are on the wall. The medals are beautiful, and you're allowed to wear them on your tux at bar mitzvahs and weddings.  Since there are no bar mitzvahs in the near future, perhaps there will be a wedding. The grandchildren ought to stop fooling around and look for a partner.  I did--and look what I found!

5 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 22, 2011 at 7:22 AM

    The hyperbaric chamber sounds such fun, from the way you describe it, that I'd really like to join you there! Not that I want to disturb your peace and quiet, of course......much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bottom line, Doc, and anyone else who may be reading. YOU EARNED YOUR MEDALS, and you have understated your heroism. Your prompt action in applying a tourniquet not only saved England but also contributed to saving England. Keeping Larry England afloat also saved his life.

    For these heroic actions, you deserved a Navy Cross. God bless you and your illustrious progeny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJuly 23, 2011 at 11:07 AM

    A reader of the same newspaperthat I read has written in with a side-splitting but one-word joke about Rupert Murdoch - "Aussiemandias." I though it was so good, and such a wonderful use of our literature, that I had to share it with all Cuzzins! Seriously, knowledge of the corrupt and oppressive nature of Murdoch's operations has now spread to your side of the Atlantic. I'm very pleased about this, because very little gets past Congress once it is minded to take something seriously. Our poers-that-be are better at whitewash. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael Jackson used to sleep in a hyperbaric chamber for the intention to prolong his life.
    http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2009/06/exclusive-strangest-photo-ever-michael-jackson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone at this moment must be writing a novel in which senior citizens live in a deep sea condo complex getting younger each day. Since we already have hotels made of ice and people jump out of planes and get married in mid air, why not deep sea condos? In fact, an engineer named Orrin Pilkey, Sr. (not junior the coastal geologist)did design such a complex for GE as I recall. I understand the real estate for such a project is cheap.

    ReplyDelete