Sunday, November 1, 2009

"What, will the line stretch out 'til the crack of doom?" (Macbeth)

.....Today, Sunday--the Dolphins are playing the Jets and the Yankees are playing the Phillies tonite. I only caught the last couple of minutes of football because at 2pm. I met my cousin Peter Rosenberg and his wife Ginnie for lunch at Ben's Deli. My sister Betty, and brother-in-law, Mickey Weiner also came from Century Village in Boca. The Rosenbergs were down here from New Jersey to see their daughter and grandson down near Miami. I don't really know the exact place, but it doesn't matter. I don't see Peter and Ginnie very often, and then only for about an hour at lunch. Peter is a cousin on my father's side--the son of my father's brother, Morris. Pete's only 67 years old and it's a good story about how the Rosenbergs all became Catholics. My Uncle Morris married a lass named Celia who was Catholic, so all of their descendants are Catholic, and all of the Ross descendants are Jewish. It's really kind of nice--weird, but nice. Pete is afflicted with the same vascular problems in the legs that I have, but he can walk a little better than I can. Inasmuch as my father had two leg amputations because of vascular problems, it leaves little doubt that this disease is hereditary. I hope it doesn't eventually affect my two sons.
.....Pete is the only cousin I see on my father's side, but I have a slew of cousins on my mother's side: two in Chicago, two in Arizona, one in New Jersey, one in Las Vegas, one in Wisconsin, one in Connecticut, one in Florida, and one in California. I get to see cousin Eddie in Las Vegas, and cousin Gary in Chicago more frequently than all the others. Once in a great while I see Allen in Arizona. It's great to have cousins now, when all the parents are deceased. And it's great to have emails for communication with them. However, if they are curious about my life with Rhoda in Florida, all they have to do is read my blog, or buy the books I've published. It's not easy to keep up with all the relatives and your own family as well.
.....Speaking of family, Robin called today and when I asked about her plans for Thanksgiving she said that she and all her siblings and their spouses were going to the Ritz-Carlton on Amelia Island in Florida. I think that's a grand idea, and I'm a happy parent knowing that all four "kids" are so close together--a really tightly knit group, even though they live far apart--Robin in Montana, Joel & Bobby in Virginia, and Bonny in California. Well, come to think of it, perhaps it's better than having them all live in the same location until they get tired of each other and have a lot of spats--especially what to do with their father when he gets really old and decrepit, and Rhoda, herself, is no longer able to be the care giver??? Perhaps they can put me in a freezer, and when there are cures for all diseases, put me in a microwave to thaw out.

No comments:

Post a Comment