Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow..."(Macbeth)

.....I've been thinking that it's time to take inventory of what's been happening to me since I retired in 1982. So, it's been 27 years that I have lived in So. Florida, but as they say, "...it seems like yesterday." It's been almost as many years as I spent working as a teacher or being married to my ex. I'm not sure how many people live for 27 years after they retire, but I don't suppose it's a large figure...so I'm blessed--no doubt. So what's happened? Have these 27 years been productive? I imagine that I would have to say so. I was in outstanding condition when I arrived here having recently run in two 26-mile marathons. I measured the distance in our clubhouse indoor pool so that I could swim a mile, and so I did swim 80 laps almost every day. I also continued working out in the weight room as I had on Long Island before I retired. Besides these kinds of exercises, I played golf about 3-4 times a week and after several years was able to get down to a 7 handicap. With all these facilities and the conducive weather, I was in 8th heaven.

.....To continue: Since single life was not very much to my liking, I went back to Long Island in 1983, and on June 19th, RH+ and I got married with Col. Rich Higgins as my best man. We had a nice little reception for friends and relatives in the Garden City Marriot hotel, after which I dragged Rhoda back to my condo in Delray Beach where she was not a happy camper. This is a "senior" community and Rho was only 45 when she got here. I was 59. However, now is a different story; she is very active in her charity and in other pursuits like canasta, bowling, luncheons, and beauty parlors. I believe she is a happy woman now that people her age are moving in.

.....One day as I was reading the HLI newsletter, I saw that there was a club calling themselves the "Savoyards" designed after a theatre in London where Gilbert & Sullivan operettas were performed. I read that they were going to perform HMS PINAFORE and since I loved that show, I decided to audition for the leading role of Sir Joseph Porter. I made it. Following that venture came a different show every year in our 600 seat Theatre of the Performing Arts. I played leads in THE MIKADO, THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE, MUSIC MAN, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, & MY FAIR LADY as well as some minor roles in PAJAMA GAME and a couple of home grown variety shows. Singing and acting in these shows was something I always yearned for and fortunately my wish was granted. I never had so much satisfaction, except for the moment I first held the book that I wrote in my hands. When age crept up on me and I was unable to play golf anymore, I decided to pursue one of my lifelong goals, and that was to write a book. And at the age of 83 I published my autobiography, MEMOIRS of a TAILGUNNER. Since then I continued writing sequels to that book in a blog I called "Home of the Red Baron". That's me. I really didn't know what a blog was, but after writing a few I decided it was a journal and after a year's worth I published a book of them called PATER NOSTER in CONDOLAND. I continued writing and eventually I had five volumes of that blog, and I am now working on Vol.VI. However, this time I will change the name of that book. So, now after 27 years here--that included a 25th Anniversary of our marriage--I conclude that I have really led a productive life in retirement and most likely will continue to do so even if I should stop writing. After that, I have no idea what will happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment