Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"Beware of entrance to a quarrel." (Hamlet)

.....I revel in intelligent conversation, especially if it involves a controversial subject that leads to debate which involves civility, then rancor, then depravity, then turpitude, then vituperation, and then, homicide. And hasn't the discussion of the health care bill been a wild ride in the last couple of blogs and in the comments that followed? How much fun can a man take? I have--or the commenters have--pushed several buttons; Jon, Joel, Anonymous, Anonymous II, Mr. Anonymous, etc. And the Red Baron has a clever one, also. I want to thank my supporters who mostly are anti-Anonymous II, but he has a right to free speech according to our constitution. Looks like the whole Anonymous family has chimed in. I am impressed by the quality of writing and in the quality of the arguments which could be presentable in the Supreme Court. Except, of course, for Sarah $$alin, who didn't even bother to defend her vindictive views by sending in a comment. So, I won't read her book, either. It's tit for tat. And thanks to my cousin, Ruth, the brightest star in England, who has researched the history of Exlax in the library at Oxford and has come up with this gem:
,,,,,"Oh God, Norman, I can just imagine that ghastly comment you got. And your response was spot-on. 'For Goddes lov, as tak som laxatyf!' (Geoffrey Chaucer, the Nun's Priest's Tale in the 'Canterbury Tales.')" As you can see they even had Exlax in the 14th Century.
.....This morning I managed to get out of bed at 8am so that I could attend the auditions for the inhouse show in March. I sang a bit of the "Play it again, Sam" ditty, and I did a little reading from a script which everyone else had to do if they cared to act in this show. As for me, I am not too hot to trot on the boards anymore. I figure I've gone past that stage. Unfortunately, the producer called me and asked if I would be interested in a cameo role in the show as a curmudgeon grandfather who is hard of hearing and who has no teeth. Since that seems to fit me perfectly, I don't know how I may refuse. I'll most likely give it a shot when I see the script. What kind of fool am I?
.....It so happens that I've been attending the Theatre Workshop each Thursday in the clubhouse, and on Dec. 4 they are putting on a "Showcase" performance on the small stage in the ballroom. Consequently, since I did not want to perform, I took the job of a director of a short skit. I do enjoy the role of a director, especially if the cast I have is inexperienced. I'm more of a teacher than a director. It's what I do best, except of course, if I am involved in a heated political debate online!

No comments:

Post a Comment