Monday, November 23, 2009

"I understand a fury in your words." (Othello)

.....Finally, at last--we removed the dressing on the melanoma wound today. It has taken over five months since the surgery. I never imagined that it would take that long to heal. I am truly grateful that the pain I had in the first three weeks has gone, and we've only been waiting for new skin to develop on the wound--and it has. We are not going to bandage it anymore. The biggest puzzlement of this affair occurred when I asked the surgeon why I was having so much pain and he replied that he didn't know. I was stunned by that answer to my question. Hopefully, now that I'm free of wound dressing I will not scrape my skin on anything--nor any other part of my body.
.....I received a comment from Anonymous II based on my blog yesterday. This anonymous obviously has anger issues and ought to check into rehab. But that's OK; he or she is merely venting conservative political views just as the Baron has his liberal views. Only this time, Anonymous II has resorted to name calling. Even if implied. After I accused Ms. $$$alin of criticizing the health care bill without knowing all of its ramifications, I was called a hypocrite for doing the same thing in supporting the bill. Only it's really not the same thing; I am supporting the Democratic Party because I trust them, and I applaud their desire and their efforts to see to it that all Americans will have health care insurance. As Obama has iterated, it's a moral imperative; after all, what is government for if not to serve its citizens. And what kind of mischief would occur if there were no government at all? How would insurance companies fare, poor things. Who would be able to afford medical bills? How could a clan exist without laws? Or prisons? Or health insurance? Anonymous really needs to take some ex-lax and a xanex to calm down.
.....Wordsworth was right, "...the world is too much with us, getting and spending, we lay waste our powers" bickering over everything. Our country should try to emulate an ancient city and civilization--like Athens for example:
.....Beyond all other pursuits (including health care) the love of wisdom, "philosophia" was esteemed in Athens in the 4th Century B.C. The life of the mind was cultivated and honored, invigorated by a high culture of theater, music, poetry, architecture and all the arts. Athletes were not given millions of dollars--or whatever coinage existed then. Instead, if they were champions of something, they were given a laurel wreath. Imagine giving Mohammad Ali a laurel wreath? If not, how about a public option insurance policy?

2 comments:

  1. Baron, your "commenter" anonymous name calling of your views is both disheartening and a symptom of the problems between this country's 2 political parties.

    Both Parties over the last 30 years or so, have become so entrenched in their positions that neither side wants to give any credit to the other for ideas that have the nations best interests at heart.

    While i do tend to lean to the right, I understand that the left does have the nations interest in their desire to provide health care for the majority of Americans. I don't have a problem with National Health Care, but I do worry about the cost.

    Calling a Democrat a Hypocrite for supporting the President and his desire to change the way the health care industry is run, very short-sighted. I did not vote for our current President, but I do want him to have a successful presidency, to want anything less, is rather crazy.

    I don't have a problem with EVERY Republican, voting against debating this plan, as the thought of both parties working together for the common good of all Americans is so distasteful to their respective leaders, that drinking Milk of Magnesia would be pleasant to them.

    Special interests while claiming to work for "all Americans" only have their OWN interests and bottom line at heart. That is the first place we need to start....IE: getting rid of these groups and the power they wield. Then the politicians would get back to the job they were actually elected to do, and that is to serve their constituents and their interests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also don't think you were a hypocrite. Palin is a "leader" with many followers and supporters who swoon on her every word because they are already of like mind on most, if not all, topics. Therefore, it is her responsibility to fully understand an issue before "leading" her minions down a path. You, on the other hand, have readers who are "followers," but only in the sense that they enjoy your writing and thoughts, and they hold views of many persuasions, some in strong disagreement. When you state an opinion, you are not intending to lead anyone; you are just expressing an opinion, and perhaps hoping that you might convince someone who is not yet convinced about a topic. And then you move on. Before casting aspersions, Anonymous II should look inward and ask himself why he is a follower of someone who might be leading without all the facts in hand.

    ReplyDelete