Wednesday, November 4, 2009

.....The Wanderer's Songs



.....I have had enough of women, and enough of love,
But the land waits, and the sea waits, and day and night is enough;
Give me a long white road, and the gray wide path of the sea,
And the wind's will and the bird's will, and the heart ache still in me.

.....Why should I seek out sorrow, and give gold for strife?
I have loved much and wept much, but tears and love are not life.
The grass calls to my heart, and the foam to my blood cries up,
And the sun shines and the road shines, and the wine is in the cup.

.....I have had enough of wisdom, and enough of mirth
For the way's one and the end's one, and it's soon to the ends of the earth;
And it's then good-night and to bed, and if it grieves the heart to ache--
Well, it's sound sleep and long sleep, and sleep too deep to wake.




.....Whose woods these are, I think I know
His house is in the village though,
He will not mind my stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

.....My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farm house near;
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

.....He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake;
The only other sound's
The sweep of wind and downy flake.

.....The woods are lovely, dark, and deep;
But I have promises to keep
And I have miles to go before I sleep;
And miles to go before I sleep.


(I hope you enjoy these poems. They mean a lot to me. And I felt this blog needs a change of pace for a change.)















3 comments:

  1. You do love Robert Frost!
    --BLR--
    I sign anonymous because I do not have any of the other choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for these gifts today! I know the 2nd but not the first but they certainly brightened up a dull, cold fall day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arthur Symons, one of the best poets that few people have ever read.

    ReplyDelete