Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"There are few die well that die in battle." (Henry V)

.....Once in a while I have to rest a bit from writing about cakes and ale, and write about something somber, which by all accounts must needs be written. I recently read a review of the book "D-Day" by Anthony Beevor, the first comprehensive history of D-Day in two decades. It is a book that sheds new light on the cost of an immortal victory. Omaha Beach was the destination on that day which generals and commanders knew would be a burial ground for many of our soldiers. For one, a tank battalion of 32 DD Shermans faced the uninviting task of driving their tanks to the shore. But the flotation devices used to keep them afloat before they came to shore from their ships did not operate as planned. The result was that 32 of 37 tanks sank drowning 33 men. The surviving tanks took their vengeance once on dry land. The purpose of valor is usually to make up for someone's stupidity. The fact that this operation succeeded was mostly due to the courage and determination of the infantry.
.....I'm reminded of the flap in the UN determined to bring Israeli commanders up for war crimes for killing Gaza civilians in their war against the Hamas. But for firing rockets over Israel, the Hamas themselves killing civilians, there was no wringing of hands by the UN. But the obviously anti-Semitic nature of the UN overlooks that particular fact. Another fact is that 3000 French civilians died during the first 24 hours of D-Day. 3000 in 24 hours! The Germans also took no pity on civilians when they fired V1 and V2 rockets over London. I was there and I'm not even English. There is little doubt that in war, civilians will be killed--especially if snipers operate from the windows of their apartments, and if used as shields by the enemy. I'm thinking of what Colin Powell said about going to war--"Is the national interest at stake? If the answer is yes, go in, and go in to win. Otherwise, stay out." Contemplate that.
.....The other day I received a letter from a curator of the memorial Museum at Dunkeswell, England. That museum was established and maintained by a few good people. David wanted to know if I knew the two crews of Joe Kennedy ( who flew and died in my outfit of VB110). I told him I did not know those crews. He also wanted to know if my plane was the one that blew a tire on takeoff with a full bomb load and fuel. I replied that it was I, indeed, who was a member of that crew. He mentioned that he has the front door release handle with all the crew's names on it! Man, I wish I had that! David also asked about the time I was fished out of the English Channel (or was it the Bay of Biscay?) by a British submarine. I know that the picture of our crew exists in that Museum, and I would like to go there one day to visit. But I don't think that will happen.
.....So much for a somber blog.

2 comments:

  1. You should write to the curator and ask if he will make you a copy of the picture, and maybe take a good close up picture of the door handle and send that to you also. These may be somber memories, but they are just as important as the happy ones.

    I always remember the quote "those who forget the past are destined to repeat it". You writings of your past ensure that generations of Ross's will remember what the past was, and do their best not to forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding the UN/Israel/Gaza issue: Here is a video link to a statement made by one of the highest ranking British officers about that. The UN Gaza inquiry panel refused to hear this testimony, which states "Israeli Defence Forces did more to safeguard the rights of civilians in a combat zone than any other army in the history of warfare.". Anyone who reads this should feel free to distribute to others who have not.

    http://www.unwatch.org/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=bdKKISNqEmG&b=1313923&ct=7536409

    ReplyDelete