Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Brazil Nut

.....Well as you can see, there is a gold star on the picture of the DFC to the right of this text. I spent years looking for one, and son Joel found one in three minutes. When I told him I had no idea how to get the thing onto this web site, he did it in three minutes. I do believe he is a descendant of Merlin of Camelot. Anyway, the picture is about three times larger than the one I had before, so I hope it doesn't overpower anyone reading this. I would have preferred a smaller version, but I can't really complain about good news.

.....Speaking of news, I received an e-mail yesterday from a former student of mine with whom I have been in touch for the many years since she graduated in the same year as my daughter, Robin, in 1968. She originally came to my high school as an exchange student from Brazil, and did not speak a whole lot of English, but now, of course she is fluent. She has two lovely children, and she is married now to her third husband, Knut, a bright and delightful guy from Norway. They live in Hallandale, and we have met for dinner many times. Recently, Knut (pronounced "Ka-nute"), lost his job, as have many others. Since nothing has been available here for his special skills, he has a very fine offer from the government in Hong Kong. Magda has been singing professionally here in Florida and has made a couple of fine albums. She hopes that she can continue this in Hong Kong. Maguina, as we call her affectionally, has as the subject of her e-mail, "Choices". I would like to share her wisdom with excerpts from her letter:


.....I will only be a 16-hour plane ride away, that's what I tell myself. If I think of all those miles and oceans and the land mass between here and there, my strength evades me, for knowing how much I will miss my family and you is a very hard notion. Then I tell myself that it's only two years, but two years can seem an eternity.
.....However, we don't really have much of a choice. We have been working non-stop from morning to night in at least 2 or 3 endeavors towards building a home based business but it will take years to obtain any dependable results. Knut will be 65 in December, I will be 60 in April. The sensible thing to do is to accept this very good offer from the Hong Kong government so that we can retire with more solid fortitude.

.....The signed contract from Hong Kong arrived this past Monday - and we were elated. After 5 months of spending more than we have been earning, this looked like a great stroke of luck. We are saved, we thought. Then, immediately and in contradictory manner, I thought of Max and Janaina, my kids; I thought of my sister Tereza, and I thought of you. The people I don't want to leave behind. Life is full of choices, and all of them pose some degree of compromise, some measure of loss, and occasional pain. We can choose to insulate ourselves from the discomfort of making a choice, or we can worry so much that we become unable to choose. However, in the manner of strong people, we simply understand that making choices is in the weave of life and we can only go through one door at a time. And when we go through that one door we choose, then we better live every single instant with marvel and gratitude for the experiences contained in the universe of that choice. "What if" is no longer a question we ask ourselves. As the Spanish say, que serĂ¡, serĂ¡.
.....I have no crystal ball and cannot know the future. For now, in this moment there is enough for me to rejoice at all the possibilities for goodness which are inherent in the reality that awaits us. In China we will learn new ways, a new language. I will study. I will work. Perhaps they will like my singing and I can work as a singer. Or perhaps I shall work as an online translator; Or if I am feeling bold, I might start my own language school and teach English, Spanish, Italian or Portuguese to Chinese professionals who are now striving to better communicate with the West. When I am earning money I will find my peace of mind as a mother who must and wants to be supportive of her children during a bad recession-- and while they are in school, on their way to becoming reliable and responsible adults. And, even from afar, I will be able to continue to work on my Wildlife Sanctuary Project in Brazil.
.....There is excitement for the adventure of going to an ancient place which existed already thousands of years before our western countries and societies were muscled into their present form. I feel energized by the thought that I will make discoveries. I have a feeling that I will be happy there.

.....I love you like I loved my own father and perhaps even more, since you were always kinder and cared more about what would/could happen to me. You are a wonderful man and my life is better because of you.

.....Hugs and kisses from your very own Brazil Nut,Magda
p.s. give my love to Rhoda also, who I admire and respect. I am happy that you found her.

3 comments:

  1. Baron, you deserve to have a large picture of your DFC on your blog site. Next to the Medal of Honor, it's the second highest award in the US Navy--and you have two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember watching the tape of the ceremony when you were presented your long overdue medals, and you were moved to tears when you said "i will keep 1 DFC and the other one is for all the boys i left behind". The medal on your page has to be big, for a very simple reason, all the boys left behind in all the wars are looking down from heaven and smiling at the sight of THEIR DFC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture of the DFC has been shrunken to more closely reflect the size of your mortal readers, per Your Excellency's request.

    ReplyDelete