Thursday, October 15, 2009

"I am not a teacher; only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way." (G.B.Shaw)

.....I have to keep reminding myself of the reasons for publishing five volumes of this blog and now working on Vol. VI. The primary reason is that -- next to acting--it gives me an opportunity to do something that I enjoy doing--writing. The second reason is to leave this journal/diary/blog for my great grandchildren to read so that they get to know their great-grandfather. By that time there may be no one left who remembers me. These kids--if there ever are any--will know what life was like in 2000+, the olden times. I have four grandchildren, none of whom is yet to be married. Who knows if I'll ever get to see even one great-grandchild--as my next door neighbor has been fortunate enough to experience. And so, I want to leave as much as I can about my life, not the least of which is the legacy of my teaching career. I do get many e-mails, etc. from former students back as far as 1954. And so here is the latest one--circa 1970 or so. Can't remember everything.


....."Yikes! Your store front is filling up fast! Pretty impressive. Oh... I recently got back in touch with Laura Shirley after many, many years of not knowing where she went off to. We had a wonderful weekend together at her home in CT -- she's just the way I remember her. She asked about you -- and I happened to have a copy of your tribute booklet in my trunk, so I gave one to her. She, like everyone else I know who had the benefit of your teaching "back in the day," remarked on the lasting impression you left on her. I suspect you'll never truly know how many lives you've affected, and to what degree -- but know that you are never forgotten.I hope you and Rho are both doing well -- please pass on a hug from me. I've been drowning in my studies for the past few months, but only have three more courses before I get started on my dissertation. (And by the way, that's another manifestation of your influence on me; I think you are probably the single greatest inspiration behind my desire to get my Ph.D.)."
....."Doc--I just read the Wikipedia post; great stuff... I'm proud of you, too (especially proud to have had the best damn teacher in all of NSHS history, and one of the best anywhere, ever -- a fact that Laura and I wholeheartedly agreed on in a recent email conversation). You're my hero!
.....Well, well, that ought to leave a good impression on my descendants way down the line from the "Greatest Generation". The message was from Debbie French, daughter-in-law of John French the late, great principal of North Shore High School.
Debbie's greatest contribution to me was her singing of "Suzanne"-the folk song, while she strummed the guitar. What a kid! I wish to Heaven I was back in the classroom, my natural habitat. I would have made a fine subject for Charles Darwin.

2 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netOctober 18, 2009 at 4:45 PM

    Stop fussing about the great-grandchildren already! They'll turn up even if you're dead: and that's the point of writing, isn't it, or you'd be able to talk to them!! What's wrong with a synagogue in an igloo? "Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est." Get translating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baron says to tell you that he's not fussing; just elucidating relationships and truths.

    ReplyDelete