Thursday, October 1, 2009

"I must speak in passion, and I will do it...." (Henry IV)

.....So the big day came and the installation of all the new officers of the City of Hope chapter are now put to work. I had to go to the florist to pick up two dozen yellow roses and each new officer who came up got one of them. Rhoda is now the President for her second two-year term, and she has a slew of problems ahead of her; but leadership is solving problems. Seems like Obama also has a slew of problems, and he is working hard to solve them in spite of the tone of the opposition. Some of the politicians in Congress are violently opposed to a public option--because they would lose their source of income from the insurance companies who do not want competition from the government who would be selling insurance at lower premiums. Not only that, but some of the racists there are not comfortable seeing an intelligent black man as President of the United States. There is a right wing group so far right that they should be out somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. Their claims are laughable--but dangerous; Obama is black; he isn't a citizen--he was not born here; he has "death plans" for the elderly; he will cut Medicare; he's murdering our country; he has a czarist cabinet. How all this will work out so that the President will be able to get a good health reform plan to benefit all Americans remains to be seen. Well, enough of that. The die is cast.

.....While Rhoda went bowling today, I went to the Theater Workshop in the clubhouse. Wannabe actors attend that group every Thursday from 1-3. I find it much too elementary for me. I've had the leading role in seven Broadway musicals (performed a little off Broadway). We begin the class by saying a,e,i,o,u a few times to "warm up." Then each "student" gets a paper containing lots of different tongue twisters and eventually some improvs, which I hate. I've done all these things in the actors' workshops I've attended before. But, I'll stick with it--it's something to do, and we do have some fun; about a dozen residents are there.

.....Well, it's been a long haul; my wound care nurse, Betina, came today to dress the wound and she said it is healed--that skin is covering it. I look at it, but I can't tell; to me it looks kind of ugly. The surgery was performed on June 15 and it's taken three and a half months to heal. I don't really care about that math; I am pain free, and have been so for almost three weeks. I was to the dermatologist last week and he did not discover any more melanomas. If he did, I would have kicked his butt. This event was a major and painful part of my life. It's too late to put in my Memoirs, however--but this blog is a kind of addendum to it. It will not create any PTSD. I survived.






.

2 comments:

  1. I know you. I know your history. I love your passion. In my eyes you are a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but let's not get carried away.

    ReplyDelete