Thursday, September 24, 2009

"I summon up remembrance of things past." (Sonnet 20)

.....So, I should not have spent so much time in the sun without using some suntan lotion. I used to get blisters on my shoulders from the many times I went swimming in Lake Michigan in the Chicago summers--and in the Atlantic Ocean when I was in elementary school in Long Branch, N.J. where I was born. Then, of course, since I've been in Florida from 1983 playing golf three or four times a week and too lazy to protect myself against the sun, I should have known that I'd get skin cancers in my dotage. Besides several squamos cell carcinomas and one melanoma surgery later, I got a phone call from my dermatologist yesterday to come in for some nitro-glycerine spray on two pre-cancerous cells on my left arm and my right arm. So let this be a warning to you. Get to the dermatologist at least once a year, and stay out of the sun.

.....Since I can't play golf any longer, I needed something to do besides writing blogs, so I joined the theater arts workshop which meets for a couple of hours on Thursdays. Today, I had two monologues to read and I blew the class away,--metphorically speaking. I know I can still act and sing even though I won't go on the stage again. If I had it to do all over, perhaps I would have tried to get work in the theater. Still--I treasure the years I spent in the classroom. I got a comment on the blog I wrote on "happiness" from "Anonymous". However, at the end of the comment it was signed by "Bobby". So, how anonymous could that be? Well, Bobby, whatever makes you happy.
.....Just learned from Robin that the film "Julie/Julia" is based on a blog written by Julie Powell. I have no clue as to how that blog was discovered let alone made into a film which no doubt has made the blog writer rich. Now, if enough of you people pass Red Baron's blog link on to at least five friends; then maybe they'll pass it on to five more friends. Eventually, when I get old,--metaphorically speaking-- my Paternoster blog books will be discovered, and then if it's made into a film, I'd like Clint Eastwood or Sean Penn to play me. Then, if that happens, I'll be able to leave my family a generous inheritance, and my wife a palatial abode, and a plane ticket to Israel. So, OK out there; let's get on the stick. You, too, Marilyn.

2 comments:

  1. Once again, I urge you to try our for America's Got Talent. You'll blow them away, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish we could have a video of you monologuing (sp?) yes, it's not a word..... It would give Clint or Sean some help when they are preparing for the Life and Times of the Red Baron!

    ReplyDelete