Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"There hath passed away a glory from the Earth..." (Wordsworth)

.....I am feeling very well this year, but sadly, several of my colleagues, friends, and former students have passed away. During WWII, I saw more than enough of death and destruction, that I am loath even to talk about the subject; I am inured to it. During the 30 years that I was teaching and coaching, I never said anything about my experiences in WWII, and so lately many colleagues and students have learned about it--some from my book, "Memoirs of a Tailgunner", some from elsewhere...I don't know. But lately, death has once again, after these many years, come to invade my spirit. It has been several months since John "Moose" Reardon died. He was our athletic director and football coach for many years, and loved by everyone. When he retired Rhoda and I met John and his wife for dinner dates a couple of times. Just in the past few months, Sam Schiffer, Tom O'Connor, and Howard Wolfe have passed away. Sam and I spent many years coaching soccer together; Howard and Marge were here for dinner only about a month ago, and his death so soon after that was a stunner--but no more so than the passing of Bob Marsden yesterday.  Bob was a fine athlete and he was going to play baseball until I told him that he could win lots of medals if he joined my track team and ran in the sprint events because of his speed. 

.....The thought of winning medals appealed to Bob, and it came to pass over a couple of years that he did win many medals running the 100 and 220 yd. dashes.  I called him "Flash".  Bob and I became very close as an athlete and a coach often relate in that way. I loved Bob as a son, and he reciprocated that love. The height of his career came one year as he ran in the mile relay with three of his fellow athletes at the Millrose Games in Madison Square Garden. This became possible when that relay team won the Nassau County Championship on Long Island. But he is no longer with us. He will not be forgotten...and neither will the rest of that team, Bill Sherwood, Barry Meyer, and Chuck Hendrickson...the Four Horsemen! Bob Marsden never stopped smiling. He was a star athlete and a star person; I mourn for him. He shall be missed.

6 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 3, 2012 at 7:33 PM

    Sorry about your loss, Baron. "Death is a fell sergeant, strict in his arrest." ("Hamlet") Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob was a man among men. He was my best friend, Best Man and loved by all. Lots of stories, lots of memories. 'Hey, everybody has story'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in contact with Bob over the years. He never let on how sick he was because he was, and always will be, A MARINE. We were lucky to have known him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around the loss of Bobby Marsden. Maybe it's because I hadn't seen him in oh so long. You never forget a high school chum like him, one who made everyday better just by seeing him, and I'm over the moon when he says hi to me. I felt special because Bobby Marsden knew me, and he even spoke with me on the bus to the track games. And it was he who presented me with my "womanger" sweatshirt. I had wished I could be the type of girl he could date. But being his friend was better, I know that now.

    It's hard to think of a world without such a larger-than-life kid in it. How I wish we had one more chance at a Class reunion with him at it. We haven't had one for so long - maybe it's time, before too many more of us can't be there. Like missing Mike Epperhart and Bob Edmunds at the last one so long ago.

    I'll be sad inside for a very long time, whenever I think of Bobby Marsden, which will be more now that he's gone than when he was alive these last ten or so years since I last saw him.

    But I'll do what I always do when I lose someone I love, someone I think was important to the world and to me. For Bobby Marsden, Bobby Edmunds, Bob Blitz, Laurie Chase, Sharon Sauther, Grandma, Grandpa, my firtst love Reuven, my last love Rich.... I determine at the moment of death to live a bigger, better life.

    I who am left here on this crazy, spinning earth. If you can't see the sunset, I'll see more of them for you. If you can't climb a mountain, I'll do it for you. If floating down the river is fun, I'll do it for both of us. You are not gone, you are around the corner, we will still laugh at all the things we used to laugh at, your name will be spoken as it always has been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and just very recently we lost Leila Fallet and Edie Aaron, two friends who were very important when we put on our musicals. Well, "Death be not proud"...we will remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

    Dear Baron, you should be so proud of your dear daughter Robin who has thought so hard and so intelligently, and worked so fiercely to make some sense out of death. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete