Friday, April 20, 2012

"The ballot is stronger than the bullet." (Lincoln)

.....The other day on my Facebook page, there was a message from my nephew, Mark Triton--my sister's son, who proudly gave the news, that his daughter--therefore my grand niece, (I believe) had joined the US Marine Corps. Meghan is a very bright and beautiful girl whom I believe just turned 22.  Now, along with my granddaughter, Katrina, my son Bobby's daughter, who is an Ensign in the US Navy, the family's military tradition is still existent and very much alive.  My father fought in Aero Squadron 27 in WWI, I served in the Naval Air Corps in WWII, my daughter, Robin, retired from the USMC as a Lt. Colonel & my son-in-law, Rich Higgins was a full Colonel in the Marine Corps who died a tragic death and for whom a guided missile destroyer, the USS Higgins, carries his name and has been adopted as a member of our family, if you will. My son, Joel, also served our country and  though not military, nevertheless  has retired from the CIA after 20 years, and who is now employed in private business.

.....Yesterday, I received a comment on the April 18th blog from a surprised but very welcomed though rare source--Peter Kehrig, a student of mine way back when, and since I don't want anyone to miss it, I decided to reprint parts of it here:

Doc, congratulations to the Ross clan for continuing the proud lineage of military service. There is also the possibilty or probability of overlap between the military and the creative arts. Our son in law served and our son continues to serve in the USMC. Although I work for the Air Force at Quantico, I'm happy to be surrounded by the Corps. Except at the gymnasium...I'm confident that you'll help bring out the best in each of the thespians in the ensemble, even though they may fall short of the high (and alas the low) standards you may expect. 
Peace and best of health to you and RH+ Pete Kehrig 

.....In Peter's last sentence he is referring to the Theatre Arts class whose wannabe thespian readings and performances left something to be desired, so I took a few weeks off in order to gather myself together from the ordeal.  Yesterday, I returned because a couple of the people asked that I come back and help them with their work.  Stan Amster who is running the class asked if I would come and help him with directing the skits that are being rehearsed for next fall's "Showtime".  We'll help the people to do the best that they can.  I realize that they are not professionals, but that should not stop them from doing the best that they are capable of doing.


6 comments:

  1. I believe that Peter's remark about the military and the creative arts refers to a comment I made about the topic that you referred to recently. In context, I had stated that of the most recent generation of the Rosenburg/Auslander family (great-grandchildren of Michael Rosenberg and Shirley Auslander), 33% are in the armed forces and, "oddly", 44% are in the creative arts.

    So, Peter says that there is the "possibility or probability of overlap between the military and the creative arts." Well, of course that is true. After all, the creative arts permeates all sectors of society, including the military. However, my point is this: When one pictures an "artist," one generally does not imagine the artist to be carrying a weapon and engaging in combat. On the other hand, picturing a warrior, the tool of choice is rarely a paintbrush.

    A second point is that there are so many occupations a person can choose (doctor, lawyer, candlestick maker, Indian chief, etc.), it is a statistical "oddity" that almost half of the great-grandchildren have selected the creative arts (photographer, painter, graphic designer, film producer) as a career.

    Actually, I'm not certain what the remaining 22% have chosen to do, but I don't believe it's with the military or the arts. Indian chiefs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. and as your step-son, I can add my 10 years of service in the US Navy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon, of course, we credit you with your service; however, I believe our discussion here is only about "blood" great grandchildren...Katrina Ross, Meghan Triton, Jake Triton, Sean Butler, Adam Ross, Hannah Ross. You don't qualify. I don't know about Zaldor Triton's or David Weiner's offspring,(if any) my sister's other two sons. Also,don't ask me how JR arrived at his interesting percentages; I'm a poet not a mathematician.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 21, 2012 at 3:17 PM

    Here in Britain, the First World War had an enormous impact on poetry, and some on the visual arts. The Second World War had a great impact on drama and comedy. A lot of this is imponderable, but there is a theory of aesthetics which propounds the theory that adversity and trial give rise to creativity. (The German writer Thomas Mann spent a lot of his time telling this to anyone who would listen.) The theory is often cited as "the pearl in the oyster" theory - the oyster has to be irritated by a grain of sand before it can produce the pearl. This theory, of course, doesn't seem to cover people who have done their service during peacetime, unless the rumours that I've heard about the awfulness of military training are true! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruthie, the "rumors" (American spelling) about military training are true--that is, "full of awe". Try it sometime. Also, the grain of sand theory is metaphorical for people--although,I've had several "grains of sand" and have yet to produce the pearl unless of course you may consider my four as pearls. Also, I don't feel like an oyster. Tell Mann to stick that in his pipe and smoke it. (American idiom)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 21, 2012 at 8:22 PM

    Hi Baron, all points noted and taken, but I don't think I'd be accepted for military training now. You flatteringly think of me as a young woman, but in fact I am 64! Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete