Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"No hungry generations tread thee down." (Keats)

.....I have decided it is time for me to return to the Theatre of the Arts class and suffer listening to the most disagreeable attempts at acting that my eyes and ears can endure.  The class is held on Thursdays and that is the day that RH+ goes bowling--and nothing can interfere with an activity which she relishes.  It's not that she bowls by herself; she is on a team composed of our community residents, and the competition between teams in this bowling league is fierce, to say the least.  These bowlers are rather, shall we say, past their prime?  Some are even pretty good at this game  I don't consider bowling to be an athletic activity--like ping-pong does not require athletes; nor does shuffleboard or horseshoes.  Anyway, I do have a need to get out of the house once in a while, and so this "acting" class is another non-athletic activity that a guy my age with physical difficulties can participate in by just sitting down in the class and soaking in the experience.  That is sufficient exercise for me; if I feel like more, I just lie down until the feeling passes.

.....This blog happens to be another nonathletic activity, and I've written 403 of them, so now I am trying to write a sci-fi novel to do something different.  I was curious to know what the oldest American novel was, and who might be the oldest novelist.  Couldn't be much older than I. The oldest novel known in America, by consensus is "The Power of Sympathy" authored by William Hill Brown in 1789.  It depicts the tragic love story between siblings who were unaware they were related.  This epistolary novel belongs to the tradition of affairs carried out by the means of letters.  Unfortunately, Brown died at the age of 28.  The oldest novelist in America was John Sanford, born Julian Lawrence Shapiro. Julian Shapiro was born in Harlem to a first generation American mother and a Russian immigrant father who was a lawyer.  Both were Jewish.  His mother died in 1914 when he was only 10.  It marked his life.  Both he and his wife, Marguerite were members of the Communist Party, and when they refused to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee they were blacklisted in Hollywood (where they wrote screenplays) for nearly a decade.  Shapiro wrote 26 books, half of them after he was 80.  He died when he was 98 leaving three unfinished books.  I guess I'll have to be the second oldest Jewish American novelist.

.....I was informed today by JR that my sister's granddaughter (my niece) has joined the US Marine Corps and my nephew is about to join the Air Force. With my Navy granddaughter, JR, writes, 33% of the Ross/Auslander next generation will be in the armed forces.  Oddly enough, he says, 44% are in the creative arts fields, although I don't know why that's "odd".

5 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 18, 2012 at 7:40 PM

    Thank you for that very interesting information, Baron. The story about the two folks who fall in love without knowing that they are siblings sounds like it is an interesting plot-line. And thank you for the history of Julian Shapiro: fascinating stuff. As for the epistolatory method of narration, it might have a future in the brave new world of emails, as I had occasion to remark to Joel and the rest of the family recently, in a different context. Have you read "Changing Places" by David Lodge? That's a modern comic novel, and it has an epistolatory section in it, just for the laughs! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norman, Baron, Mentor, I must take offense to your statement "I don't consider bowling to be an athletic activity--like ping-pong does not require athletes; nor does shuffleboard or horseshoes." As a member of two table tennis clubs I can assure this activity is quite 'athletic' and requires incredible reflexes, hand/eye coordination, concentration, stamina, physical skill, and strategy. Otherwise, you are still my role model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bob, duly noted. However, you don't wear a uniform with your name and number on your back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netApril 19, 2012 at 4:18 AM

    This is very mysterious. There should be a fixed criterion for what constitutes an athletic activity. Perhaps the involvement of strenuous physical activity should be the one. Even as mentally taxing a game as chess won't constitute an athletic activity. Derivation: Ancient Greek: athlon = contest: but that does't get us very far! And I don't think the Ancient Greeks wore uniforms. They were naked - "gumnos" - which gives us our word "gymnasium."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doc, congratulations to the Ross clan for continuing the proud lineage of military service. There is also the possibilty or probability of overlap between the military and the creative arts. Our son in law served and our son continues to serve in the USMC. Although I work for the Air Force at Quantico, I'm happy to be surrounded by the Corps. Except at the gymnasium.
    On another note, Leanne Zinkand (ne Krause) just published her first book - "The Spaghetti Afterlife." She and husband Wayne most definitely are strongly in the creative arts category...they are the most dynamically creative couple I have the pleasure of knowing.
    I'm confident that you'll help bring out the best in each of the thespians in the ensemble, even though they may fall short of the high (and alas the low) standards you may expect.
    Peace and best of health to you and RH+ Pete Kehrig

    ReplyDelete