Sunday, November 6, 2011

"Tis ten to one this play can never please all that are here..." (Henry VIII)

.....Judging from the spirited comments on my October 25th blog, it seems to me that there is some interest in figures of speech.  Consequently, I shall shamefully cater to those who wish to do some writing, and whose sentences often contain these figures without the author knowing that he has used them.  However, those who do write for fun or profit would do well to know some of the important figures of speech so as to make his/her writing more interesting.  For example, there are litotes, oxymora (plural for oxymoron), hyperbole, & aposiopesis--something you might want to look up... and if you don't do it I'll...  (The last type of threat is rarely used in writing, but often used by parents in speaking to their children.)  Speaking of writing, and figures of speech, I have just published a book of poetry in full color which is a hard cover version of "Addenda" (the paper-bound); I must say it is a thing of beauty...something that would do well to be displayed on your living room's cocktail table...or something similar...so that guests might casually pick up and read some.  Unfortunately, it comes at a fairly high price of $24...but of course I think it's worth it, and I could use the royalties.

.....Speaking of high prices, with the help of son, Bobby, who has an account on eBay, & with the help of his expert advertising, we sold a gold coin of mine for $3100.  I bought this coin a few years ago from the US Mint for $1200.  I've been collecting coins for as long as I can remember, and put each denomination in coin folders.  Recently, when son, Joel was here with Barbara I gave him most of the collection...as a part of his inheritance...he should make a good sum of money if he ever decides to sell.  I have already given each of the "kids" a cash part of their inheritance.  I can't believe I'm using the word "inheritance".  I never believed I'd have anything to leave as an inheritance, but I invested well and I decided, along with Rhoda, to give them their share of inheritance before I die...so that I could see them smile.  Unfortunately, I don't have "skype" so I could not see the smiles.  (I think it's called "skype")

.....about the health issues: I've given up going to hyperbarics (the oxygen treatments) because it has made my ears stuff up as sometimes occurs when flying, and secondly, I got tired of spending an hour and a half in the tube.  Extremely boring.  I still have the sore on my heal, but I've been going to the wound care center and it's gotten very small.  There is a lot less pain involved now.  The other issue is my hip; my leg is still not mobile & so I have to use a walker.  I hate it, but I can't do anything about it.  As for RH+, she has her own health issues which are not up for discussion here.

.....about theater issues: Once a month the "Acting" class which meets every Thursday puts on a "Showcase" in the ballroom & usually about a hundred people come to be entertained by the monologues and skits which people in the class perform.  A friend who attended said it was "fun".  Oh, I totally agree about the fun part, not so fun about the performing part.  Probably not so much fun for those in the audience who left at intermission.  The frustrating part for me, however, since I studied at the Columbia School of Drama, and the NY Conservatory, and I have 30 years experience performing in the theatre here and in NY, and that I am a PH.D in English, is that only one or two in this class appear to be interested in getting some help with their ACTING!  I thought that is what the class was supposed to be about, but disappointingly, it doesn't appear that way.  Whatever people are told about the importance of projection, of diction, of movement, of facial expression, and  emotion & etc.,  they completely ignored in this showcase--including what instruction they were given on Thursday's rehearsal about the proper use of the microphone.  Perhaps the latter was due to nervousness or stage fright or both. As for my part in the show--it was to sing "Rich Man" with a harmonica player's accompaniment.  Oh, I'm no Zero Mostel, or Hershal Bernardy, or Topol, or Richard Burton, but I do know a bit about the theatre and about performing.  It amazes me that those who have put on "in-house" shows in the past few years have never asked if I would care to direct a show.  They surely could use some direction-- and profit by it.   I suppose now I'll be known as the Piers Morgan of Huntington Lakes.

16 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netNovember 6, 2011 at 7:49 PM

    "If you can't see smiles, you'll have to make do with similes!" ("Thoughts of Chairman Ruthy," No. 365)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think I've got my hands full, you should see my heart! - is that a paraprosdokian? A foster mother of 8 once said that to me.

    Good one,Ruthy. What figure of speech is that? Smile simile...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK Robin, it comes pretty close. And for those of you who whined because of what I said about using comments for controversial conversation and/or trivial discussions that have nothing to do with the article, I bow to your complaints. Also, you can see to the right of the comments the number of articles I have written in 2009, 2010, and in 2011 there is a significant falling off...with good reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey wait, I thought Anonymous was the one who chastised Red Baron's commentors about staying on topic? I'm confused on all the Anonymouses (Anonymice? Anonymissus?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netNovember 7, 2011 at 3:40 PM

    Thanks, Robin! Smile/simile was just a visible joke waiting to happen, I think. Your dad provided the tinder (metaphor!) As for the foster mother, I can't quite see paraprosdokian, although I'm open to persuasion. What I CAN see, however, is a juxtaposition of two metaphors. "Hands" also carries overtones of synecdoche. "Heart" is more difficult, as the heart used to be thought the seat of the affections, but is now known to be just a pump. With "heart," you're veering between metaphor and synecdoche, depending on your views on the historiography of anatomy. Seriously! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, so maybe Baron was a little harsh on some of his favorite commenters. Go ahead; have fun; life's short.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netNovember 7, 2011 at 10:30 PM

    THANK YOU, DEAR BARON!! xxx I believe I have mentioned before that your commentators are all united by respect and affection for you and your great learning, and accordingly the comments shew (nice old spelling!) forth much intellectual unity and cohesion. Hope that makes you content with the vagaries of content!!

    Robin - forgot to congratulate you on "niblings," it's great! I can offer you no higher praise than to say that I wish I'd thought of it myself!! However, I can't use it myself as I have only nieces - but I'll tell all my friends. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netNovember 9, 2011 at 2:32 PM

    Robin and everyone - EUREKA! Ive just remembered from my Ancient Greek the name of the language phenomenon employed by your foster-mother friend: PROTASIS AND APODOSIS ("On the one hand...on the other hand") (Golly gosh - THAT'S synecdoche too!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymouse: Apparently the Baron was (is) the chastising Anonymous. He deanonymousized himself in his comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netNovember 9, 2011 at 9:04 PM

    The Baron has emailed me to say that he thought that "protasis" is the opening of a play that kicks off (metaphor, from fooball) the action. I've Googled this and discovered that we are BOTH right. "Protasis" is a term used in both drama and linguistics. In linguistics, it starts up a conditional sentence. In drama it gets the play under way. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  11. And all along, I had thought that protasis and Apodisis referred to the artificial limbs that had to be applied to the statue of the Greek Goddess of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I noted at 11:11, on 11-11-11, there were 11 comments. Jus' sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netNovember 12, 2011 at 12:13 AM

    Joel - ye goode joke! (Don't worry, Baron! I DO know that the "y" of "ye" is really a lost letter of the Anglo-Saxon alphabet, and should be pronounced "th." However, "ye" has been used, albeit mistakenly, in England for so long that it's now almost traditional!) You could, Joel, in theory actually have been right about "protasis" because it means a "stretching forth." "Apodosis" just means a "giving back." ANCIENT GREEK IS THE TOPS!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Robin's observation is very commendable. And that comment and the date following will remain on this blog forever. But where was everyone at this one:
    12:34:56 7/8/9? This action of numbers does not occur very often. Perhaps someone can answer that conundrum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Cuz: I disagree with your comment about Ancient Greek. We have a Greek restaurant here where the food is discernible Ancient.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netNovember 15, 2011 at 8:24 PM

    Mm, well, you're supposed to get Ancient Greek OUT of your mouth, not put it IN. Did the food make you vomit, by any chance? Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete