Tuesday, November 22, 2011

"...and damned be he who first cries 'hold', enough!" (MacBeth)

.....Our cuzzin, Ruthie, from the UK has been so angered and frustrated and nonplussed, and nonminused, and furious about being kept on "hold" on her telephone calls that she was inspired to write the following poem.  This is a UK poem on the subject of "hold" , not a USA poem.   The author is Ruth Grimsley an English poet, and her poem is now immortalized.

OTHERWISE PLEASE HOLD
I telephoned the Council   to get some information
And heard a recorded message   that caused me great frustration
“Press 1 if bankruptcy is looming: press 2 if your ferret needs grooming
Press 3 if you want to catch cold: otherwise please hold!” 
I held on as instructed    for 60 minutes – an hour!
Until near-fatal boredom   did me quite overpower

2 .  I telephoned the company    that sells us all our gas
And got a recorded message    that made me feel like an ass
“Press 1 for the complete works of Trollope: press 2 for some corporate codswallop
Press 3 to buy or sell gold: otherwise please hold!”
I eventually spoke to a person   but she was just a minion
She sympathised with my problem   but couldn’t pass on an opinion

I telephoned the DWP      to query the administration
Of my pension, and their message   caused me great perturbation
“Press 1 for cheap offers amazing: press 2 for double glazing
Press 3 to stop growing old: otherwise please hold!”
I held on for a solid hour   without any sensible reasons
Because I found I was listening    to Antonio Vivaldi’s “The Seasons”

I telephoned the company    that gets our water drained
And sat amazed to listen to the message it explained:
“Press 1 to know how Catholics   and Protestants do differ
Press 2 to find out how to make   you or your partner stiffer
Press 3 to feel that heavenly love   does your soul enfold
Otherwise, would you      please just kindly hold.”
I sat there idly wondering   where these ideas came from:
Then another message said   “see our website
www  dot idiocy dot com”

If I’d wanted an hour of boredom    I could find it easily
If I’d wanted to get nothing done, I could have done that for free
If I’d wanted to hear Vivaldi    I could have done it on my own
And if I’d wanted to view a website    I’D NEVER HAVE PICKED UPTHE PHONE!

.....I would not deign to ruin the effect of horror as one finishes reading this poem (must be read aloud conversationally in order to feel the horror) on the chance that any of my readers has experienced the same onphone experience that Cuzzin Ruthie has achieved so artfully in this, her madness poem.  The worst thing, besides being put on "hold" is to have someone speak English to you in a foreign language. Perhaps that will be her next poem. (And notice the erotic line RG snuck in which makes this an R rated piece and her a limey to be desired.)

4 comments:

  1. Well done, Cuz Ruth, on another fardel we must bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netNovember 22, 2011 at 11:52 PM

    Thank you, Phil, and thank you Cuzzin Norman for publishing my modest scribblings. Calls from abroad don't worry me too much, as the unfortunate callers, handicapped by ignorance of our way of life, and sadly desperate to earn a living, are easy to out-manoeuvre. Some of them try to convince me that I've accidentally been dropped from the Telephone Preference Register (whereby you can opt out of cold calls) and I tell them very forcibly that you DON'T accidentally slip off lists in the UK - it's much more likely that you stay ON them in spite of determined efforts to get off them! My robust and forcible enlightenment of these operatives on this point leaves the poor creatures completely flummoxed. I simply shout "You're LYING!" but that isn't necessarily true because the falsehood comes from the script they are given by their unscrupulous employers, but frankly, "'chob mein eigene zurus." Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Cuz Ruthie: Perhaps you ought to translate, "chob mein eigene zurus for Unca Phil (...and me)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netNovember 23, 2011 at 5:17 PM

    Er...maybe I've got it wrong, because I'm not fluent in Yiddish, but I'm simply recording the phonemes my parents used when they were saying, "I've got my own worries." Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete