Saturday, November 19, 2011

"Can'st thou quake and change thy color, murder thy breath in the middle of a word, and then begin and stop again, as if thou wert distraught and mad with terror?" (RichardIII)

.....69 years ago today, November 18, I joined the Navy. Should I celebrate this anniversary or not?  If I celebrate now how should I go about it?  Go out to dinner? A movie?  Or just treat it like any other day. .....I remember that day vividly.  Mom took me to the center where all the enlistees were.  I had a helluva time getting my mother to agree to let me join the Navy.  I told her I wouldn't get hurt because I would sign up to be a Yeoman...who, basically was a clerk.  I could type and take stenography. A Chief Petty officer took me to a room where I took all my clothes off and he went back to give everything to my mother.  In this room  I had a thorough physical exam.  Then another room where they took off my curly locks and made me look like a plucked chicken. When all this was done, everyone got into line and made an oath to serve the country. In a few days we boarded a train, and we were on our way to boot camp at Great Lakes, Illinois--close to Chicago.  

.....This morning the wound care nurse changed the dressing on my heel wound.  She comes twice a week. On Wednesdays I go to the wound care center where the doctor looks at it.  I asked him when the heel would heal and he said about the end of the year.  I have to admit the thing feels a lot better. I can even get t sock on my foot.  After the nurse left, I left to go to the dermatologist where another nurse took the bandage from my cheek and I walk around with my stitches open for anyone to see.  Then I met Rhoda at Bagel Tree for her brunch and my breakfast.  Some celebration.  Weeeee!  I had two eggs over medium, bacon and home fries well done, coffee, and a plain bagel with cream cheese.  My anniversary breakfast.  When I got back home, I went to the Theatre Arts Class which I have been attending ever since I got home from my rehab.  The "students" put and a show in the ballroom for residents to attend free.  They did skits and monologues.

..... The showcase performances were disappointing.  Some in that show forgot to get into their character; forgot the motivation involved in the skit or the monologue; forgot the emotion of the character; spent too much time holding their papers for dear life; forgot to use decent diction and elocution; forgot facial expressions, and several other facets of acting. (See title). Sadly, no one asked me for some help.  I don't bite.  I don't intimidate.  In short, I teach.  So, I see no reason to continue going to that class; there are no roles for a guy with a walker.

1 comment:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netNovember 19, 2011 at 8:24 PM

    Well, Baron, at your age I think you can celebrate the anniversary or not, and if you do, in any way you choose! If you're not sure, then leave it over to next year, when it will be an important anniversary - the 70th! But since it was the Navy, why don't you and Rh+ go out and eat a couple of subs?

    This is the third time you've complained in print about the shortcomings of that drama group. I've got to hand it to you - you're CONSISTENT! I'd give them up as a bad job if I were you. Find a group that will make better use of your teaching abilities. Hope your heel heals!! (Homophones!) Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete