Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sturm und Drang? Sui Generis?

.....Yesterday, I had mohs surgery on the squamis cell carcinoma on my left cheek which only added to the sturm und drang of this year.  (No, Joel...not that cheek). See, I have interrupted your obvious attempt at a bon mot. I simply cannot wait for this year to be over so that I can get a new start with everything cured and healthy.  And that also goes for RH+ whose health lately has made her RH-.  So, at the moment I am relegated to the use of a walker-- and mine compared with the others' around here looks as though it's custom made.  There are Harley-Davidson stickers all over it (courtesy of Bobby) accompanied by such stickers as "Been there.Done that"; "Why is it that everything my wife gets mad about have to be fun?"; and "Bikers have more fun than people do.".  I also have stuck a miniature flag on a stick to the walker.  And, finally, (for the decorative nonce) RH+ bought lamb's wool grips for me.  Thus, I am the pride of Huntington Lakes.  No one has a walker like mine in any other South Florida community. In that respect I am surely "sui generis".

.....Last evening in our clubhouse, the "Boomers' Club"  held a Veterans' Day party in our ballroom, although I doubt that many of our members are real Boomers.  I know I'm not. I'm a Greatest Generationer, and I did observe several other guys in my category. At any rate, there were about 250 members there enjoying a concert by the Boca Singers who delivered several patriotic tunes. One of them was "God Bless America" when most everyone stood up with hands across the heart.  To me, that was the song that Kate Smith sang at Philadelphia Flyers' hockey games and it became known as Kate's song. But it is obviously not our national anthem, and I don't know why everyone stands for Kate Smith.

.....Yesterday was Veterans' Day, and since I am a veteran I got a few telephone calls of recognition. The best surprise came from Katrina (24), Bobby's daughter, who is making the US Navy her career it appears.  She spent four years in Hawaii and came back to Maryland recently where she works of aircraft engines. We spoke to her for about a half hour.  Of course, we invited her to come here for her leave to get away from the snowy north. Then we got a congratulatory call from her Dad who does call us often. And finally, Sean (28), Bonny's son, called from California to wish me a happy Veterans' Day. However, I for one, did not consider it to be "happy"--why happy? I could not help remembering, all day, those we left behind who never will have the opportunity to be happy. But, I do understand the reason behind wishing friends & relatives a happy day on all of our holidays--except Memorial Day, when I don't think it would be appropriate.  Well, I guess I did have enough to say on Veterans' Day...check out the comments!

1 comment:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netNovember 12, 2011 at 3:38 PM

    The eleventh hour of the eleventh hour of the eleventh month is when the Armistice of the First World War was declared, and we celebrate Remembrance with a minute's dignified silence here in England. We also wear replicas of red poppies, as these were the first flowers that proliferated on the blood-soaked fields of Europe after the War. Everyone has their own idea of what the minute's silence and the red poppy mean: partriotism, or sorrow and mourning, or just remembrance of those who never came back, or came back but were not as they were when they went out, or hope for a peaceful world. It is an inclusive and impressive event here. (Tomorrow is "Remembrance Sunday" when all the official ceremonies and services are held.)

    ReplyDelete