Sunday, May 8, 2011

"...to cease upon the midnight with no pain." (Keats)

.....Robert Browning wrote, "...Grow old along with me; the best is yet to be." Well, I'm not too sure about that;in fact, if my current situation is "the best" then I am opposed to it. Shakespeare complains in 'The Comedy of Errors' "By misfortunes was my life prolonged to tell sad stories of my own mishaps." And this comment appears to contradict Mr.Browning. And considering my own current existence, I can offer a sad story of how I broke a hip for the second time in my life, and my own careless ineptitude is causing me unrelenting pain. Not just tickling pain; that is,Homeric pain. Now, so what can I do about this?  Not very much. I use the scooter to get around most places in this house. The renovation is very nearly complete--wooden floors everywhere except in the main bedroom. Makes it easier to scoot. Where the scooter can't get to, I resort to a walker, which I use with pain in the pelvis.  So, that's the situation. I plan to write Mr. Browning an email and if this is "...the best that's yet to be" and is already arrived it is a huge disappointment.


.....Since the arrival of old age along with accompanying medication is inexorable, let's get on with something else. Osama Bin Ladin, for example. Listening to some newscasters is becoming very confusing because they, themselves, are confused; they can't get the idea that 'Osama' is the terrorist and 'Obama' is the President. I am also confused by the fact that Navy Seals were employed for this mission to outsource this guy in an operation that was totally land based. And no one asked me where this guy could be hiding out. Took them nine years? Do these security men think that a millionaire would be hiding out in a cave!! Would you? No. Just like him, I'd build a beautiful hotel ringed with barbed wire, and I'd sleep with a different wife in a king sized bed every night while reading Playboy and all about Hugh Hefner and is baby wife.  Well, it's time for my oxycodone. 

7 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 8, 2011 at 3:26 PM

    Speaking as a new member of the Tea party, I would say that Obama was big buddies with Osama all the time, and that they were JOINTLY responsible for 9/11. Obama has killed an Osama-lookalike - with the connivance of Hillary and all their aides - and has spirited the real Osama away to a luxury palace in Nepal. Where they will continue to plot how to destroy the USA and western civilisation as we know it. Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, Cuz Ruth......Drink some Lord Grey Camomile, take two aspirin, and call Rush Limbaugh in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc, I told you a while back that Browning was a prevaricator. Having a dog named Flush was the initial clue, although, strictly speaking, the canine belonged to Elizabeth Barrett.

    Trust not any poet not named Ross. They are generally full of themselves and waste material as well. Courage, mon ami. Our heads may be bloodied but not unbowed. Refer to Capaneus in THE INFERNO, but without his arrogance.

    There are still many joys available such as kith and kin, mallomars, and a host of lesser pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Capaneus was a notorious blasphemer, and for this he was struck down with Jove's thunderbolts. I intend to avoid thunderbolts at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nevertheless, he stood up to overwhelming power, saying, in effect, "Is that the best you can do?" Courage such as his is to be respected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 10, 2011 at 2:16 AM

    Very sensible, dear Cuzzin: and you could make a fortune if you could only discover when and where they will strike. In England we are still advised to use age-old methods of minimising lightning damage, eg, by not standing under trees during an electric storm, and by kneeling on all fours so that any lightning that comes your way is immediately earthed, after passing through less vulnerable bits of your anatomy.

    Phil: I've heard of Rush Limbaugh, but only as a name. What's his take on things? Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cuz Ruth, Rush Limbaugh styles himself as a conservative, an opponent of big government that takes away "our freedoms."

    In actuality, the Rusher is an entertainer who says whatever it takes to be outrageous and thereby build a following that leads to big bucks.

    He has a huge audience, many of whom call themselves "ditto heads."

    ReplyDelete