Monday, May 30, 2011

"The pain of the mind is worse than the pain of the body" (Syrus)

.....I'm really confused.  I am suffering pain from a sore in my heel at the same time I have pain in my groin. Not just a little pain; but a whole lot of it, and neither problems seem to be getting any better.  Tuesday I go for the oxygen treatment, but as I've said, I don't believe it will do me much good.  Joel wrote that if Rhoda said to do it, then I ought to do it.  Phil B. asks what I have against oxygen.  Both boys appear to be optimistic.  Well, OK; I'm doing it and we will see what happens.  According to me, nothing will happen.  Right now I can't even lift my left leg; someone has to help me.  

.....Ilana will be graduating from high school at the end of June.  I've made air and hotel reservations, but right now it looks as though I'll lose the money involved. If I can't go, Rhoda can stay with Renee, he daughter.  Rhoda does not want me to be alone in the house and wants to get someone to stay with me and help with the things I need.  So, I'm afraid I won't be able to go to New York; it won't work with the condition I am in.  Ruthie thinks I may have "given up"; well I have been pretty close to that--and worse.  I'm willing to try anything now and so tomorrow we are going to the place for the oxygen treatment.  I don't have much faith in it, but I'll give it a try.  They put you in a "tube" and pump in pure oxygen for an hour and a half.  That is supposed to help you to heal faster.  We shall see.

7 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 30, 2011 at 3:26 PM

    Not sure who Syrus is or was, but if you ask me, pain of both mind and body are equally horrible. If you've got both - well, I don't know how far even my most sincere sympathies will go in assisting you, poor Baron! Don't like the sound of this pain in your groin - what on earth could that be, if not a possible spread of your infection? Hope the oxygen therapy helps. Thinking of you many times a day, Cuzzin Ruth xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 30, 2011 at 3:45 PM

    I've just looked up Syrus. UUUURRRRGGGGHHHHH! His stuff is AWFUL!! Was it Syrus whom C S Lewis was satirising when he wrote Calormene poetry in "The Horse and his Boy?" That would make a lot of sense to me!! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellin Bliss Jaeger (North Shore '58)May 30, 2011 at 10:55 PM

    Always think of you on Memorial Day and those who didn't make it.
    I've known of good results from Oxygen therapy so I'm going to be the optimist here. It's used here as part of the Wound Clinic protocol.
    Know you will keep us posted.
    Please don't denigrate all the years of teaching; you touched and changed so many lives. We cherish our memories of those years, some of us over 50 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth: You are not supposed to take that poet's work too Syrusly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 31, 2011 at 8:04 PM

    Nice one, Joel! Wish I could think of an amazing riposte - but can't. But here's a funny story. Squirrels are the new "in" food over here. A market trader was selling them at his stall, and had put up a notice that read: "May contain nuts." Cuzzin Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Squirrels are rodents and not infrequently rabid. What's next? Rats?

    On a more serious note, Doc, as much as I am opposed to slavishly following doctors (probably why I am still alive, more or less), oxygen therapy seems harmless, might give you a natural high, and really could be helpful.

    Hang tough, and God bless you and all the other Rosses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netJune 7, 2011 at 1:41 AM

    Phil - we don't have rabies in this country. As a small island, or archipelago, we have been able to keep it out by strict laws about bringing animals into the country. I expect that one day the Channel Tunnel or other easy new route will put paid to this fortunate dispensation, but for the moment it holds good. In any event, I don't think you can get rabies from ingestion of the flesh of a rabid animal: the digestive tract is strong, and impermeable to a lot of nasty things. However, it is true that squirrels are filthy creatures, and if I were preparing one for my family to eat, I would ensure that it was very well cooked. Squirrel ragout, yum, yum!!

    As far as rats are concerned, I refer you to Rhett Butler in "Gone with the Wind," in which he states that he'd rather eat a rat than some of the unpalatable viands with which he's been provided at his Civil War besieged hotel. Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete