Thursday, May 19, 2011

" I am cabin'd, cribbed, confined" (Shakespeare)

.....I am cabin'd, cribb'd, confined.  What I mean by that statement is that I cannot go anywhere because I can't drive.  It also means that I cant walk.  I have to depend on a scooter to do that.  The doctor says that my hip is completely healed.  When I ask him why I have so much pain, he says that he doesn't know.  So what do I need him for?  The truth is that the pain that I have prevents me from walking.  Rhoda drove me to the clubhouse where I attended the theater arts class.  No one appeared to want to learn how to act.  They started out by saying "a,e,i,o,u."  Then they did tongue twisters, a useless bit of fluff. Finally, everyone had to read a monologue, and that's exactly what they did, they read it. No attention to diction or acting at all.  They simply read their monologues and that became really boring,  So, I left early.

Unfortunetly Rhoda is tied down having to care for me.  She refuses to leave me alone in the house, so we bought one of those alarm mechanisms that you hang around your neck or on your wrist, so that if you fall down, you press the button and soon the medics show up.  And that's the situation here.  What is exciting is the change our apartment has undergone.  The carpet in the living room and den was pulled up and wood replaced them.  In fact wood had been installed in every room except in the master bedroom and the two bathrooms.  It's a different look and I have to get used to it. I have a different look, also, and I have to get used to it.  I cant walk and I have scorpions in my brain; this too shall pass and perhaps too late.














9 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 19, 2011 at 11:32 PM

    Dear Cuzzin, I don't see why you shouldn't complain: you've got a lot about which to complain. You know the famous poem "Life is mainly froth and bubble?" Well, Kingsley Amis rightly parodied this by saying:-
    "Life is mainly toil and labour:
    Two things get you through -
    Laughing when it hits your neighbour,
    Whining when it's you."
    If your quack doesn't know why you are still in pain, find another one who jolly well does. And who can prescribe something that'll heal your heel. Or at any rate, one who can administer effective pain relief. Pain is horrible, and you have my utmost sympathy.
    Also, for the agony of that drama class. Much love, Cuzzin Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 19, 2011 at 11:36 PM

    Complain as much as you want, dear Cuzzin! Pain is horrible!! You know the famous poem, "life is mainly froth and bubble?" Kingsley Amis parodied it thus:-
    "Life is mainly toil and labour
    Two things get you through:
    Laughing when it hits your neighbour,
    Whining when it's you."
    Find another doctor who can provide a satisfactory answer to your question about why you're still suffering when you're supposed to be better!
    Also, sympathy for the agony of that drama lesson!! Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is only your physicality that is confined. Did you not play Peter Ibbetson in the eponymous film or was that Gary Cooper, your look-alike?

    And your colleague, Richard Lovelace informed you that stone walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage.

    While it is unfair that you do not have the full use of your limbs that once served you so well, moving forward is a continual exercise in courage, mon ami.

    May the Gods grant you more mobility! Baruch Hashem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that you do get out of the house. I hope the pain subsides enough that you can continue your physical therapy and use the walker to set a new (for you) distance mark -- perhaps at the mall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having worked in the medical field for a very long time, surgery on a hip, whether it be a hip replacement or a rod & screw(which the Baron has)it does take up to six months to heal and to be pain free. The Baron was having trouble walking even before this surgery and complaining of pain in the hip. This leads me to believe that the hip was starting to fracture before he fell. His using his scooter is not helping him to regain his mobility. He must walk with his walker in order to strengthen his muscles.Yes, it is painful, but remember "no pain, no gain".
    Everyone, please encourage him to walk, walk, walk. Joel, he is getting physical therapy in the house 2x a week. He'll do better when he is ready for outside physical theapy, using all kinds of machines. The Baroness

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellin Bliss Jaeger (North Shore '58)May 22, 2011 at 8:23 AM

    I agree 100% with Cuz Ruth, please try to find someone who can diagnose the cause for the pain. Don't give up on that, it has to be coming from something that is not readily apparent.
    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 22, 2011 at 5:45 PM

    Ellin - thank you for your support! As Spike Milligan used to say: "I shall always wear it!"

    Cuzzin Norman - Sorry I posted twice! I spilt some Lady Grey tea on my computer keyboard, and thought that my first comment had not got through! Also please take your mind off your pain (and relieve mine) by explaining to the Baroness what a misrelated or hanging participle is, 'cos she's accidentally put one at the beginning of her comment and it's causing me AGONY!!!! Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Baroness (AKA RH+)May 23, 2011 at 12:03 PM

    Sorry I'm causing you AGONY, Cuzzin Ruth, but by 8:00pm, I'm exhausted and just needed to get some things off my mind. When I am exhausted I just write. I don't pay attention to the correct or incorrect English. I'll try not to upset you in the future. I just hope you will understand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 24, 2011 at 7:38 PM

    Hi Cuzzin Baroness, no you didn't upset me, and I'm abjectly sorry if my remarks suggested that. And I wasn't really in agony! All I wanted to do was to distract the poor Baron form his own agony by making him laugh at some fabricated agony of mine. As for grammatical errors, we all make them sometimes and we all get tired sometimes. Much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete