Saturday, May 28, 2011

"Make War breed peace" (Timon of Athens)

.....Here's the latest. The sore on my heel is yet to heal.  (Good example of homonyms).  The doctor has recommended something called "Hyperbaric oxygen therapy."  It's a procedure where they put you on a table and wheel you into a contraption and blow in oxygen for a full hour and a half.  It'supposed to make wounds heal faster.                          It's something that I believe will do me no good and I will have wasted all that time breathing pure oxygen.  I fluffed it off, but Rhoda was fiercely adamant about it.  I will spend the hour and a half just thinking.  There will be a tv set, but I don't watch tv in the afternoon.  I could bring a book, but the only book I read now is one that I have written.  Wouldn't it be fun to read about what happened to me in 2007?  At any rate we are trying to get that wound to heal.  It distributes pain.


.....There's nothing really going on these days besides boring stories of my affliction. I was really "down" the other day when I got an email from a student of mine who graduated in 1965. It made my day. 
 I have told anyone and everyone who would listen that you were my favorite and most valued teacher!  I've taken multiple classes in my education career and have had many excellent teachers but none captured my interest and excitement for learning the way you did.  So....after all these years I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
.....  I can't even remember if I was smoking pot that year--or any other year for that matter.  Maybe it was that which made me a teacher like the one she remembers.  I never even suspected that I would become a teacher; I was just a kid from the Bronx who knew nothing.


.....Every year at the end of May comes Memorial Day.  Greeting someone with "Have a happy Memorial Day" just doesn't make it on that day.  It's a time to reflect and to remember those who gave their lives in the service of our country.  Those like the eight boys in my own aircraft who never had the chance to enjoy their grandchildren.  It's a day to honor our soldiers and sailors who were young and who never came back.



4 comments:

  1. 1. If RH is adamant about something she wants you to do, then you should do it.
    2. Even if the oxygen does not quicken the healing, it is supposed to be very good for you to breath pure oxygen for awhile. Pro athletes do that during breaks on the sidelines, and mountain climbers do so as well. Try it; you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baron, what reason do you have for resisting oxygen treatment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 29, 2011 at 6:02 PM

    Yes, Baron - Phil is right to ask this very pertinent question. I'm getting the feeling that you've given up. I beg you to tell me this isn't the case. Cuzzin Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Joel & Phil. Cuzzin Ruth you are getting the right feeling. The Baron is giving up and what a SHAME. He still has many years ahead of him, but he doesn't believe in himself. You can't get through to him. What a stubborn man! He is soooooo negative. HELP!

    ReplyDelete