Monday, May 16, 2011

"...if only we could wear jewels;as symbols of pain rather than wealth."

.....I know it's been a few days since I posted this blog, but I'm certain that my loyal readers will understand the reason--I've been battling the pain that accompanies my hip surgery and the sore I have on my left heel that brings up the pain level whenever something touches it.  Far be it for me to complain; it does no good.  I told the doctor about it, but his answer was that everything has healed.  When I asked why the pain now, his reply was that he didn't know.  If the doctor has no answer why complain?

.....At the moment, I am fairly immobile; assigned to a walker or a scooter.  With the scooter in the house, I fail to understand the formula for avoiding bumping into walls.  I am grateful that a license is not a requirement for scooter driving. Nor can you get pulled over for DUI; I occasionally imbibe a beer.  One event here involves my wearing a necklace at the bottom of which contains a button. If you fall and hurt yourself and can't get up, you press the button and all hell breaks loose!  The police are alerted and the medics arrive with full siren blasting even unto the parking lot so that neighbors are alerted and thus lured away from the television.  I agreed to wear this alarm button for Rhoda's sake; she says she'd feel much better about me being alone.  The button is hung around my neck with a string--which is a cheap way to be wearing a necklace.  Next time I go to a flea market, I'll get a chain of gold.  Not real gold, of course; it' $1500 an ounce!  And maybe I'll have that button engraved with the symbol of a lion, the representation of Columbia U.  If I am forced to wear an alarm button around my neck, at least it will have some class. 

3 comments:

  1. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netMay 16, 2011 at 9:27 PM

    Hi Dear Cuzzin - I posted a comment on your last entry but it doesn't seem to have got through: I don't know why. However, I hope this will explain my apparent silence. I wrote to sympathise with you in your your pain, and hope that things will get better, and that I think that they eventually will. Yes, you must drink lots of water - I do myself, and I think many people are slightly dehydrated for a lot of the time. Also I note that you have reached the end of the Bible, since you quote from the Apocalypse, and it is the last book. (Apo = from, kaluptein = to hide: "apocalypse" means "from hidden" and accordingly a "revelation," which is the book's other name.) Hoping your suffering will abate, much love, Cuzzin Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never give up! I'll see you on Fathers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now there's something to look forward to, Baron. The lovely Bonny will be visiting you on Father's Day which may enable you to forget some of your pain, albeit temporarily.

    Her advice is splendid on many counts, but she must already know that NR will NEVER give up. With the sharpest of salutes, I remain

    Your friend forever.

    ReplyDelete