Sunday, August 1, 2010

Dim, and Distant Days Vol.II

.....Hi friends: I just read a modernization of Hamlet's soliloquy in Barron's Educational Series book of the play which is called "Shakespeare Made Easy." Well, in my view, they made it much too easy--most likely aimed at idiots. So, I decided that I would write a much better modernization that requires some decent reading comprehension. The original version in Will's Elizabethan English is not necessary. But, as a matter of fact, if he were around, he could take my "modernization" and write one in his own English which would be a good "ancientization" of my version.

"To Be or Not to Be" in Modern English

The question is whether to live or to die?
Which is more honorable?
To live and to suffer the inexorable misfortunes of life?
Or to end them once and for all with a dagger?
But suppose we choose to die; will that finally end
The heartache of life and the ravages of illness
And disease that the flesh is subject to?
That end is the very result that one would hope for.
However--in that sleep of death will one dream?
Well, now--there is the catch! For the kind of dreams that
May come makes one pause to think
Before ending mortality with a dagger.
Just the thought of dreaming about hell fires
Causes acceptance of the calamities
That come with a long life.
For who would be foolish enough
To accept the ravages of time, the wrongs of oppression,
The arrogance of men, the pangs of unrequited love,
The law's delays, the insolence of politics, and the
Humiliation one takes from the unworthy
If one could end all that with a ready dagger?
Who would be foolish enough to bear life's burdens
Except for the fear of something after death
That would be infinitely worse; and so we bear
The many ills of life rather than fly to others
That we know not of--because no one
Has ever returned from the dead to tell us about them.
Thus, the knowledge that we are all sinful
And the guilt of our consciences cause us
To turn fateful actions aside
And for us to sheath our dagger.

.....and to continue with letters from the dim, distant days:

Dear Dr. Ross
My progress through high school was nothing to be proud of. I was really getting nowhere, and I was fearful of never getting a college education. I thought I'd be sweeping floors in a grocery store all my life; that is, until I signed up for your class as a junior. I thought I had entered a different universe. Your presence, your demeanor, your teaching skills were nothing less than magical. I couldn't wait each morning to be mesmerized by your delivery of Burns, and Keats, and Shelley, and especially Shakespeare. When you tore your shirt doing Hamlet's soliloquy in the manner of Stanislavsky's method acting I thought I had gone to heaven. It was totally amazing. Your influence on me has lasted a lifetime; that is, I am now over 60 years old. I graduated college as a history and social studies teacher. I'll never forget you. Thank you. (D.W)



4 comments:

  1. The Baron has also been influenced by Dr.Ross. Thanks to him, I've become a blogger baron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should copyright your translation. It makes it all so understandable, yet still poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ruth.grimsley@virgin.netAugust 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM

    WONDERFUL rendering of the soliloquy from Hamlet, dear Cuz! But PLEASE desist from posting any more testimonials: have you any idea how insecure it makes you look? And there's no need - we can all see for ourselves how brill you are!!! Love, Cuz Ruth in England

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Baron appreciates the comments on his modern rendering of Hamlet's soliloquy; but Ruth Grimsley is mistaken if she believes her "cuz" is posting these testimonials;he is too modest to do that. The Baron is one of his ardent and overzealous elderly former student admirers. And it is he who is the culprit. Mea Culpa, etc.

    ReplyDelete