Friday, July 30, 2010

Letters from the Dim & Distant Days

.....OK. I said once in a while & this is one of them. During the chore of moving all of our collective gatherings of over 27 years from our den (about to be redecorated) into our living room, I came across a folder containing letters to me from former colleagues and students. One of the first that I received came from a graduate student in the class I was teaching as an Ass't. Professor of English at C.W. Post College in 1965. And since I've drawn a blank as to what I can print in this blog, I thought I might as well include some of the letters so that my great grandchildren, if I ever get any) could get an idea about what kind of teacher I am/was. Although these might be somewhat self-serving, who cares? This is the venue to preserve them before they are lost in antiquity.

Anyway, I was teaching a course to graduate students called "Teaching English in the Secondary Schools" and this came as a letter to me with a 5c stamp on the envelope:

"Dear Dr. Ross,
.....Up to now, the A's & B's I've received in my 'ed' courses haven't meant much, because, frankly, neither have the courses. But yours has been the happy exception, and so I was delighted with my A. I enjoyed your course and the reading and writing it entailed. I think that a good measure of how involved I got is the fact that I read 'English Sentences' all over Switzerland.
..... You're a born teacher--the only real kind--and it was a pleasure and a privilege to be in your class. Best wishes for a happy Summer. Cordially, Mrs. Marian Lesser " (June, 1965)

(Excerpt of a letter from a former student who in 1968 came across an issue of the HS newspaper of Sept. 1963)

".....included in it was an interview with a very perceptive man, who said that a teacher 'has to inspire; he is a catalyst'. Naturally, these words meant more to me than they might have meant to most, for they were your words, and they redefined for me the role your teaching has played in the careers of many of your students--and the influence (having been exposed to your guidance and direction) that that teaching has had on my own life. Each time I happen to run into an old classmate, yours is the name that seems to stand out above all others in discussions, and yours seems to be the influence that is still most keenly and deeply felt!
..... I know that in my own life during the past ten years, your teaching has provided 'inspiration', and the lessons of integrity and dedication learned in your classes have provided a 'catalyst'--and will certainly continue to do so!----
..... Thank you for giving us something meaningful to remember and for teaching us lessons that extended far beyond the classroom. With love, Betsy K. (Class of '58)" June, 1968

Letter from a former student teacher:

"Dear Doc:
.....It's very difficult to express my gratitude to someone I regard as the 'ideal teacher'. Strange as it may seem, I never had an idol until I watched you teach for the first two weeks. .....To put it mildly, it blew my mind as much as it may surprise you.
.....The experience you have given me is an outgrowth of the warmth and consideration you transmitted so kindly. Because of you I know now exactly how I want to teach, and this goal gives me something to work for in the years to come. Someday, I hope your 'osmotic' approach will become my own as well. Thanks, Jackie." (1965?)

Thaaaat's all fooolks--for now.


1 comment:

  1. As usual, the letters show how much of a wide ranging effect that the baron has had on those who have had the honor to be in his presence, either as a friend, student or family.

    Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete